Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my enging blew up a couple days ago and when i pulled the jugs and cylingders i found out the piston skirt broke off. the ? is now is what do i do to make the head of the clyinder back smooth. sand paper steel wool sand blasting what do i do i cant afford a new cylinder head so thats not a option

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
the head? take a pic, show is what it looks like. If it is just dimpled, no big deal, just go over it with some 300, then some 600 grit sand paper to get rid of the high spots, and it will be just fine. be sure to clean it THOUROUGHLY after sandpapering!!!

-Dean

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
the cylinder is another story. If it is just slightly scratched, just run if your on a budget. It really should be honed though. If there are deep scrathes (your fingernail can ride in them), you will need a bore and hone job, and oversize pistons, if you want to retain good compression and power.

-Dean

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am already planning on boring it over .50 mm i will try to get a pic of the head there are little gouges though

·
Registered
85 Posts
like ripper said, if it's the head and it's just dimpled and jagged like form a broken ring chewed at it, a small grinder like a dremmel tool, clean it up the best you can without changing it's basic dome shape, as long as there are no sharp edges protruding from it. i swear that they should do this at the factory for us, everytime i have rebuilt with this scenario, i think it has more power after, the reason is that the fuel/air mixture gets swirreled around more! believe it or not! go for it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
like ripper said, if it's the head and it's just dimpled and jagged like form a broken ring chewed at it, a small grinder like a dremmel tool, clean it up the best you can without changing it's basic dome shape, as long as there are no sharp edges protruding from it. i swear that they should do this at the factory for us, everytime i have rebuilt with this scenario, i think it has more power after, the reason is that the fuel/air mixture gets swirreled around more! believe it or not! go for it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Why .50 over?

·
Registered
777 Posts
rxl
i believe .50mm is actually .020 thous

1 - 9 of 9 Posts