Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Cylinder help.

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  polaris1man 
#1 ·
I have some cylinder issues. This is for my Dirtbike but the reason im posting it here is cause it could be the same information for a sled as well. This summer my 250cc 2stroke seized up and it put a big chip in my cylinder sleeve. Now, im currently shopping around for some options. Theres 3 options, i can resleeve my cylinder, repair the chip, or buy a whole new cylinder. The one i was leaning more to is resleeving my cylinder because i heard it was cheaper and not cutting corners. To me repairing the chip doesn't seem reliable enough to me in my books. Maybe im wrong, can anyone help me with this? Is it a good idea to repair the chip? or should i just resleeve it. Or theres the option of buying a used cylinder out of a running bike off ebay, anyone have experience buying used engine parts on ebay?

Thanks

James

#2 ·
No experience here in buying engine parts off ebay but, I would deffinitely not try to repare the chip. Re-sleave or go with a used jug is going to be the best thing you could do.

No experience here in buying engine parts off ebay but, I would deffinitely not try to repare the chip. Re-sleave or go with a used jug is going to be the best thing you could do.

#3 ·
I would re-sleeve the cylinder if you can't find a replacement cylinder. What year bike and make?? If it is a new enough bike and worth it to you, you can also plate it. You can normally find some pretty good parts on ebaymotors. Just keep in mind that someone may have bored out the cylinder to the maximum spec or the piston rings have honed the cylinder out of maximum spec. Therefore, you would have to re-sleeve the cylinder anyway. But, most the time the parts will work fine, just have them measure the cylinder before purchasing.

What sleeve were you looking at?? If you bore out the cylinder a couple of sizes larger would it take care of the chip??

#4 ·
its a 2000 cr250. The cylinder has a big chip out of the bottom where both skirts hang down. So boring out wouldn't come into play. Id take sure the used cylinder would be stock, no bore. I just dont want to order it and get it and it doesn't work or anything could be wrong with it.

#5 ·
dont buy a used cylinder. i bought one for my rm125 anc when i got it i checked it with a micrometer and it was way out of round. i wasted 100 bucks on it and ended up resleeving bolth of them so i have a spare cylinder if i blow the top end again. resleeve ti and you will save yourself alot of pain in the long run

#10 ·
a few years back i got a kx 125 that was blown up. i got a new cylinder for it off of ronayers.com i looked up ur bike and it looks like about 330 for a brand new facgtory honda cylinder. i got mine there and never had any motor problems.

#11 ·
Im assuming you mean getting it reniked, correct? They hone the cylinder, and coat it with nikacil. That's expensive as well. If its a chip in a steel cylinder, you need to buy a bigger piston because the only way to do it is boring.

I'd go with a used cylinder. I get used cylinders for every sled I buy with a blown motor. Make sure you buy it from someone or somewhere trusty. If it's on a DB forum, make sure they have a lot of post or good feedback, so if they screw you over, you can ruin their reputation that site. If it's on Ebay, make sure they have good feedback.

#12 ·
sledcrusher said:
Im assuming you mean getting it reniked, correct? They hone the cylinder, and coat it with nikacil. That's expensive as well. If its a chip in a steel cylinder, you need to buy a bigger piston because the only way to do it is boring.

I'd go with a used cylinder. I get used cylinders for every sled I buy with a blown motor. Make sure you buy it from someone or somewhere trusty. If it's on a DB forum, make sure they have a lot of post or good feedback, so if they screw you over, you can ruin their reputation that site. If it's on Ebay, make sure they have good feedback.
No, they can weld and renik to repair the chip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.