Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both cylinders look like this, do I dare use them for a budget top end rebuild? I can feel a couple with my nail, just under exhaust ports, this is after a light honing. Off a 2001 rmk 700, girlfriends stepdads sled. Was at the shop and after sticking $600 into it - a lower gasket leak was found on the mag cylinder, wouldn't idle under 3500. Told him hell, I'll throw in a gasket kit for you, bring it home as is. Well, I found this. If he didnt want to fix it I was going to buy t from him and throw it in my late fathers 98 xc 600 - his all time favorite. Id really like to get that thing refurbed this year, but finding a good motor from an honest person is tough to do. Atleast this one is open and I can feel that the crank seems fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Both cylinders look like this, do I dare use them for a budget top end rebuild? I can feel a couple with my nail, just under exhaust ports, this is after a light honing. Off a 2001 rmk 700, girlfriends stepdads sled. Was at the shop and after sticking $600 into it - a lower gasket leak was found on the mag cylinder, wouldn't idle under 3500. Told him hell, I'll throw in a gasket kit for you, bring it home as is. Well, I found this. If he didnt want to fix it I was going to buy t from him and throw it in my late fathers 98 xc 600 - his all time favorite. Id really like to get that thing refurbed this year, but finding a good motor from an honest person is tough to do. Atleast this one is open and I can feel that the crank seems fine.
I’d send it out for replating personally. How’s the piston and rings look?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Probably wont send them out or spend that much $$ on them at like $200 a pop. Pistons look ok.
I personally have run worse with a vigorous dingleberry hone job, and had success. But I don’t recommend it. If you can feel it with your nail it will cause premature ring wear. How long it lasts if you chance it is anyone’s guess.

maybe scour eBay or local sled bone yards for a used jug? Might be cheaper in the long run if plating isn’t an option.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Yeah, looks like you would feel at least a couple of those scratches. Millennium Tech would have reman ones on the shelf with new Nikasil but you will be into some decent money for a set...maybe $500. Try a hone and see where you end up. Just sucks to do the work and spend a little to end up junking the engine or needing to spend a lot of it doesn't hold up.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
It all depends upon whether you're feeling a scratch or a ridge. If it's a ridge (deposit of aluminum from piston) then you can use muriatic acid to remove the aluminum. I would not recommend trying to hone a nikasil cylinder without a special diamond hone. If it's a scratch (gouge) then I would go with a replating. It's spendy but it brings it back to original or even better if you have them match pistons to the cylinders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts