Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 2000, 600 Touring (Polaris). I would like to help him with his handling problem. DARTING. On the groomred trails at cruising speed the sled darts from side to side giving him a very uncomfortable feeling. Does any one know the cure, first hand experience. This is not the first time that I have heard of this problem with this model. Lengthening the limiter strap did not help. The strap is not tight when the sled is on the shop floor with no rider. All response welcome. Thanks,............Mike !

·
Registered
79 Posts
well you can either go with dual carbides or put a set of easy steers on it. I did both and both works great, just that easy steers are cheaper, But dual carbides realy bite the trails.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The front ski's are out of alignment is the probal cause, get the camber and toe angle right, and the problem will go away. I don't have the specs for that year on the alignment angles, There are many ways to correct this, firs, my guess would be more of a toe in issue, you want the sled to have a toe out, or negative toe. I'll look around later for some ingo on your sled, if I come across something, I'll post it.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
If your wondering how to align the skis, this should help you out.

http://www.polarisfiles.com/snowmobile/tutorials/alignskis/skialignment.asp

·
Registered
137 Posts
Those Simmons skis are spoda help the whole darting thing because of the dual carbides as skybolt mentioned.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yeah - check alignment. If everyhting is ok, and you still dart, check the spindles. I had a spindle get tweaked just a little. The only way I found it was to run the spindle over a flat surface. The spindle was about 1/4" out of true - just enough to throw that sled from side-to-side.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The skid wouldn't be an Xtra-12 by chance would it?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Do the allignment, and get easy steers.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If the Front IFS springs are cranked up, back them down, and you may possibly want to buy a new heavier duty front track shock spring.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You should check to make sure you don't have too much weight on your skis (vs. the track). This can be done by adjusting the pre-tension on your ski springs. If the skis are aligned properly it is likley just the setup that needs adjusting. By taking weight off the skis and putting weight to the track you reduce affect of minor steering changes - resulting in less darting. You don't want to remove too much weight however, otherwise you'll notice it won't be as responsive in the corners. Suggest backing off one turn at a time.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
even if alignment is right on, some sleds with be extremely darty feeling on groomed trails, the carbide will tend to follow tracks left by others, my ski-doo did this bad..
i bought some c&a pros and it tracks strait as an arrow now. it was unreal how much of a difference good skis make...[:)]

·
Registered
137 Posts
I want those Simmons Flexis wicked bad! Maybe I should pass a can around for donations. . . $400. . .

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Nice tutorial Pman,
I've never looked in that section of your site before, I'll have to poke around in there next week.

I saw a good ski alignment tip on Snowmobile TV last year. Get a 4 - 5 foot strips of U-channel big enough to fit around your skags/carbides, and set them in those to make measuring easier.

I thought that darting was from too little ski pressure, not too much.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Thank you, but you should really thank VTSheener, he's the one who wrote that tutorial.

I hope that section of my site will grow this winter, I have some pics here on how to do some suspension work, just haven't got around to getting that setup yet.

Plus we have a new system for displaying the tutorials, so I have to get around to setting that up too.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I was just wandering if that ski allingment settings would apply to an old yamaha. we are having allot of trouble with our 96 v-max 600xt. it just about throws you off the sled when it catches a rut in the trail. I was woried about letting the kids drive it. it runs great. but it seems as though I just can't get any tracktion with it either, it has studs. I am not sure how many, it had them on there when I bought it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
http://www.absolutesnowmobileparts.com/sledparts_272.htm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts