Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reason for graininess took this in ambient light.

This is my dash set-up with EGT gauges. These are three inch Westach's running a custom dial graduation. They look cockeyed because they are. 1300* F is straight up and down. With my probe placement, I see 1350* F through the midrange then it drops to 1250-1275* at WOT. And at WOT I cannot take the time to look at the gauges, if the needles are straight up and down, I can easily watch them with peripheral vision.
[attachment=50511]
I have made up a new wiring harness for all the lights in the gauges, gauges themselves, the 12V DC convertor and the wires for the temp sensor (gauge on right), and its' light.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Nice. You are turning that xcr into an even more amazing sled. I see new stickers underneath. Are they new stock stickers? Any more plans for this year?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are 1999 XCR-700 stickers. I found I did not like the color scheme. I have contacted a professional graphics artist who will do a custom color fade with close to an OEM design. Up here no-one would ever notice, but in the Lower 48 and Canada, most people would scratch their head if I went by, as most know what a truly stock XCR looks like. :) Besides, I needed someone to make me a custom 600 decal the same size as the original. I can fool plenty of people.

I have the 1995 RXL xtra-12 (13.1" travel), pretty much put together. I need to remove my current xtra-10, and change out the extensions to make the 121" x-12 into a 144" x-12. I need to drill about 60 more holes for studs...and stud the track, and I need to replace all the clips that got ripped off last year. And almost all were ripped off last year.

New bearings jackshaft and driveshaft, seals in the chaincase, re-wrap the pipes, then I can put it back together.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
that a water guage hanging off to the side?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes sir it is. $60.00 off eBay.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That is a sweet gauge setup i went with a single KOSO digital egt gauge for my sled. Im thinking about buying 2 more but not sure yet. [galleryattach=13229]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by xlt2709
[br]That is a sweet gauge setup i went with a single KOSO digital egt gauge for my sled. Im thinking about buying 2 more but not sure yet. [galleryattach=13229]
I can save you $$$ in A digatron gauge. give us a look.

www.digatrondirect.com

Thanks

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Ya, get a Digatron and get all temps you want plus a tach all in one box instead of a whole lot of crap hanging of your sled, and 1 thing is easier to look at then 5 things, and it will also have event tracking.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya, and it is so much easier to have analog gauges that you do NOT have to look at all the time. The beauty of analog is how the brain processes the visual ques. Three things sticking straight up and down do not draw the eye, it is deviation from that that draws the eye. So under hard acceleration, going really fast or hard riding, you don't have to fiddle with change buttons, try to look down at tiny little digits, or take time for the brain to process changing digits and interpret what they mean.
Besides, three analog gauges look kool as all hell. A square box does what? ........ya, exactly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by TheKuskokid
[br]Ya, and it is so much easier to have analog gauges that you do NOT have to look at all the time. The beauty of analog is how the brain processes the visual ques. Three things sticking straight up and down do not draw the eye, it is deviation from that that draws the eye. So under hard acceleration, going really fast or hard riding, you don't have to fiddle with change buttons, try to look down at tiny little digits, or take time for the brain to process changing digits and interpret what they mean.
Besides, three analog gauges look kool as all hell. A square box does what? ........ya, exactly.
I understand what you are saying, The NASCAR boys do exactly that.

Nice thing about the Digatron gauge is you really don't have to watch it. Bright red LEDs are preprogrammed to let you know when you are in trouble. Thus you can keep aware of driving better.

The reality is personal preference is the bottom line and if you like analog or digital, thats ok. It is your sled and thats all that matters.

Safe Riding

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Originally posted by TheKuskokid
[br]Ya, and it is so much easier to have analog gauges that you do NOT have to look at all the time. The beauty of analog is how the brain processes the visual ques. Three things sticking straight up and down do not draw the eye, it is deviation from that that draws the eye. So under hard acceleration, going really fast or hard riding, you don't have to fiddle with change buttons, try to look down at tiny little digits, or take time for the brain to process changing digits and interpret what they mean.
Funny, I don't have to look at my little box at all during a run, and I can press a little button on my bars to record some stats like 2 egt temps and the rpm, or I can also see what my highest temp was on each cyl, and my max rpm. All this AFTER I've done the run and now can see how it was running and make the adjustments were needed. When I am on a run and I exceed a temp or rpm the little box tells me with a quick glance. I read your first post and you said "With my probe placement, I see 1350* F through the midrange then it drops to 1250-1275* at WOT. And at WOT I cannot take the time to look at the gauges" this I see a problem and this is why I said the digitron is more superior to analog gauges, and I have run both, and tring to watch my temps and ride at WFO is the reason the analog egt is sitting in the bottom of a box.

·
Registered
690 Posts
i like digital but i can afford it, but i wouldn't go with digatron i would go with the avenger 3 gauges unless i got a hell of a deal on the digatrons but i think ill stick with the analogs because they are cheap and look cool as hell, but looks dont mean anything i guess as long as it keeps my sled from blowing up

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by polaris09
[br]i like digital but i can afford it, but i wouldn't go with digatron i would go with the avenger 3 gauges unless i got a hell of a deal on the digatrons but i think ill stick with the analogs because they are cheap and look cool as hell, but looks dont mean anything i guess as long as it keeps my sled from blowing up
Tell me why you would not go with a Digatron... I am curious. What does an avenger do that a Digatron can't? Or it should really be... the Digatron does much more than the Avenger, Why an Avenger. They actually cost more and you get less. And you can get a deal on a Digatron.

Just Curious.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts