Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Refer to cliff notes below if story is not needed*
I rode my sled just bought yesterday to see if its good for the season. Short jont down to my gparents and back. On the way back it straight up turned off and costed to a stop with not much, if any, sign of a problem. I opend up the plugs and just have a light brown dry look to it. Put em back in, small burp but that was in. So I walk home.

Got my buddy that works at polaris dealership to come look at it. He checks spark and that was perfectly fine. After scaning it over he just has me prime the hell outta it and he kept hitting the gas. After 20 pulls or so it turns over. Couple more and it starts right up and runs perfectly fine. Ran to the gas station, put some fresh premium in and a bottle of iso-heet. Bring it home.

Went to ride it today, started up fine and idle fine. Start going and 5 minutes into rideing, straight up turns off again with no sign. So I check plugs again, nothing. Try pulling, nothing. Long story short, I get home after work, with it back in my yard, and try pulling it over. It pulls easy couple times then gets harder for the next 5, now it wont pull out at all. Like I'm yanking on it and im pulling the sled backwards so I stopped before i break the cord. It has oil and no idiot light came on for over heating.

*Cliff notes*
-Stalls and wouldnt start after no hiccup while riding it
-Buddy helps and get it started after 20+ pulls. Spark plugs dont look alarming and has spark.
-Fill tank with some iso-heet put in. Ran fine rest of the way home.
-Tried riding today, dies again.
-Wouldnt give a sign of a damn thing till pull cord wont even come out anymore
*Plugs have light brown look on the end

The Minor signs of trouble is it seem a bit hestitant before the first stall past half throttle. The second time, as soon as i went past half throttle it hesitated hard then died.

My right spark plug (had one plug on me first time and changed it on that site) had black on it starting at the gap and going down. Both times it died the plugs had that. Can get a picture if need to see what it is.

I dunno otherwise. I'm gonna bring it to his shop but the fact that it wont turn over at all now worries me. Just buy a sled and second ride it seizes? [:(]

·
Registered
707 Posts
Do you have spark every time it won't start? Passing on internal eng problems- seizing. Sounds like it is running out of fuel. Can you see through the fuel line whether there is fuel or not to the carbs? Will it start/ run with the primer?
My stretch of a guess may be the pulse line to the fuel pump- leak. May be small. Or a blockage at the pickup screen in the tank.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
grab the clutch and see if it will move at all. If not, the motor is seized up. Could be a failed bearing or any other number of problems. Start here, and if the engine is not seized we'll help ya figure out why the sled is dying.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
oh yeah...forgot to mention. What make/year/model sled is it? I know ski-doo's had problems with their rings flaking the coating off (lose compression) of them and running very poorly when they warm up. I'd be checking compression in each cylinder when it is acting up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ one in my sig and avator. mxz 670ho.

I couldnt turn the clutch. But today, its a little bit warmer (close to 30 instead of low teens) so decided to give it a try. I pulled on it hard and it popped back once. Let it back in and tried again, got it to come half way out. So, gave er a hefty pull and almost fell on my ass cuz it came right out and burped like it was ready to start. Primed it a couple more times and it started for a second then died right away. Tried again and this time when it died i noticed it made a clunk sound. The best way to describe it is its like the retractor cord mechanism thing (sorry, cant think of technical term) is locking while its running or something, making it stall hard.

Seems to be getting fuel and yes theres good spark everytime. Im started to lean more towards clutch-esc symptoms. Like something is engaging when it shouldnt be and interferring with the whole line somewhere between pull cord and clutch. Its to hard to pull again so im gonna go outside to try and fight it on the trailer.

The engine sounds fine, and everything else looks to be fine. Just somethign odd between what i described. It kinda plays in with how it seemed to be hestitate past half throttle. It *souned* fine engine wise, but it was like the clutch was beeing hestant to grab and go. Then something locks stoping the engine dead. Hmmm.

Thanks for helping so far. :D

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
That sounds really similar to my 670 when the PTO crank bearing went out of mine. How many miles are on the sled? Anywhere from 1500-3000 miles is where it seems the crank bearings go out on the 670s.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by flatlander_summit
[br]That sounds really similar to my 670 when the PTO crank bearing went out of mine. How many miles are on the sled? Anywhere from 1500-3000 miles is where it seems the crank bearings go out on the 670s.
Bingo.[V]

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blah. Guy said odometer was dead and it suppose to have around 3500 on it. Says 2500 on it and speedometer works.

Man this sucks : (

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I don't know if they will or not. Dootalk would be your best place for an answer there. I had to have my crank redone I think it was around $500 for a new pto side bearing and stub.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a post about it over there but not much response. Its going to a guy now that is family and race's skidoo's. So he'll have it apart and fixed and back together pretty quick. He said it might be a good 400-450. Good way to start off the season : (

1 - 12 of 12 Posts