Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just gotta ask...

Is there any "rules of thumb" you guys know when it comes to dealer pricing? Some places drop to a no haggle price, other take a few hundred off list and make it sound like it's the deal of the century! I'm not looking to scrape the last nickel, I just want to know I'm getting a good deal.

Is it different for leftovers, it seems like they don't like to talk about them, but do give much better discounts.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, I don't have a ton of experience (just bought my first) but this is what I did:
I pretty much knew I was going to get a Viper. So I hit the Yamaha website/phone book and got numbers of all the dealers within 50 miles. Called and em and said "I have the money what can you do". Then worked it down to "Hey guy, I can get it for this much here. . . can ya beat it?"

Of course I didn't end up buying from the cheapest place. The cheap guys were a huge dealer of pretty much every brand. I got a much better feeling from the local "mom and pop" joint where they know what they're talking about. It's nice to be able to walk into that mom and pop place where they know my machine and my name and can recommend upgrades based on me. Just my 2 cents. . .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by brsacjab
[br]I just gotta ask...

Is there any "rules of thumb" you guys know when it comes to dealer pricing? Some places drop to a no haggle price, other take a few hundred off list and make it sound like it's the deal of the century! I'm not looking to scrape the last nickel, I just want to know I'm getting a good deal.

Is it different for leftovers, it seems like they don't like to talk about them, but do give much better discounts.
For me I find there is not usually a large difference in pricing on new current models between dealers. Know what the msrp is and try to get a little better. New non-current models should always be at a good discount - they need to get rid of them. The most important thing to me is the dealer himself, do I like him?, is he knowledgeable? and does he appreciate my business? I prefer dealing with the mom & pop shops myself they never forget my name and take the time to get to know me and the kind of ridding I do. Just my opnion.[;)]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Unless you looking for the latest greatest thing on the market find a dealer with some left over sleds and low ball em until you can come to agreement on a price. This should save you at least $1000 over the cost of the same sled in the current model year. Unless they have made some huge changes you won't be able to tell the difference anyway. You'll still have a brand new sled.

·
Registered
874 Posts
From what I can tell, there isn't a huge markup for dealers on these sleds. If all they did was sell machinery, they wouldn't be able to keep the doors open. As mentioned previously, if you can find someone with last years models still in inventory, you should be able to get a pretty good price. It appears there is a massive glut of year old models still available, perhaps more than ever before. Looks like a good time to buy. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts