Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would just like to say hello to everyone and thank you for letting me be a member of SF group.Now that the formalitys are out of the way Ill tell my story. On January 18th of this year i purchased a new Polaris Trail RMK.My 1989 Yamaha XLV found it's self a new owner, so off to my Polaris dealership i went.It was love at first sight,there it was in my garage,my first new sled.I registerd the next day and out across the lake i went.Soon i was at the dealership buying all kinds of colored accessories and other goodies to personalize my new sled.At about 285 mile,s I brought the sled to my local dealer for its first maintnance.All checked out good with the exception of the skid plate accessory.I needed to cut vent holes in the frount of it so that the muffler could stay cool.So I did. The weekend came and my freinds all wanted to go Trail riding on the powerlines to the railroad beds and so forth.At about 20 miles into my trip of rough riding over bumpy terrain i began to notice my sled starting to make alot of noise coming from underneath.I stopped on the trail several time's to check it out but couldn't find anything wrong. It seemed to me as though the noise was getting worse so i ended my day early and back to my garage i went. Curious as to what was making so much noise i checked the engine, but it was fine.So i looked under the sled,tipping it on its side,i noticed scratches along the tunnel.So i tipped it back down and removed the seat and gas tank to get a better view of the damage.There it was,5 scrathes and 1 tear right through the bottom of the tunnel about 5 inches long directly under the gas tank. It seem's that the dealer installed tunnel protectors were not installed correctly and the dealer installed studs ripped a hole through the tunnel under the gas tank.A little upset i was.It was off to the dealership i went.I explained what had happend and left the sled with them for repairs.After 5 day's i went back to the dealership to pick up my sled.They told me they had made the needed repairs to the snowmobile, and it would be good to ride again.I brought the sled home only to find out that the dealer did nothing except install peices of tunnel protecter to the area under the tunnel were there was none before.There was still a hole under my gas tank through the tunnel. Furrious I brought the snowmobile to another dealership,closer to home,not the one i purchased the sled from.They told me the sled was unsafe to ride and should be repaired correctly with a new tunnel and tunnel protectors of the correct length.Well here i sit not out snowmobiling having fun,but venting my $1600 problem. I have been a vistor to this site on many an occasion, just to see what others have to say about there snomobiling experiences. Ill keep all of you up to date on the outcome of this tragedy. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
143 Posts
if you have to pay couldnt you charge fines against them for wrecking your sled, saying they repaired it, then finding out its unsafe to ride!

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
That sucks man, there is probably something you can do legally against the first dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Trail Maker:
Were all of the "add ons" done by the original dealer? If so do you have reciepts for all of there work?
If you answer "yes" to all of the above I would be sending a little note off to Polaris?

Old Cheetah

·
Registered
328 Posts
I agree with Old Cheetah, send a letter to polaris. The other thing you could try is after it's fixed, send the bill to polaris with a letter from the second dealer explaining the problem, a letter from yourself and a photo copy of all your reciepts for your add ons. They may just cover teh bill, if not, it was worth a try.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I wouldnt wright... I would call. Over the phone they can hear how P.O.'d you really are...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think a phone call min. Maybe talk to the owner of the dealership he may not be aware of the problem give him the benifit of the doubt. My next step would be to contact Polaris head office they are on the web. at Polaris.com .This is a serious problem that you need to get rectified very soon I wouldnt be threating with legal action all that does is piss people off. Be very dipolmate and make sure you document everything they have done and said just in case it does come to legal action. Trust me I worked for Canadain Tire for 27 years and went through this kind of thing before (Canadian Tire is a large automotive store in Canada) my brother was the owner of the store I worked at.And alot of the time he had no clue of the problems that occured in the service dept. And once he was made aware of the problem he would look after it. So talk to the owner personally calmly and make sure he knows whats going on. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
even without tunnel protectors that sshould not hit the tunnel, i think the dealer didn't set the track tension correctly for having studs, or some guys may get mad but when was the last timey ou checked the track tension?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Take pics. pay out of pocket for the repairs and off to small claims court to recoupe the cash. I think polaris will not get involved because of the studding, that is way the dealer did a cheesy repair because they cannot get the cash from polaris. It court they only defense will be you abused it. They lose. You have to pay out of pocket for repairs to prove damages and cost first.[:0]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok time to update all of the questions above.The dealership i purchased the sled from installed the studs on the track without my consent before i even paid them for it. The only options i wanted on the sled were electric start and reverse, But when i arived at the dealership to pick up the snowmobile it had the Studs already installed on it. I had at that point told them i didn't want studs installed, but would have had to wait an additional two weeks for them to change the track with a new one that they would have had to order, So i accepted the snowmobile the way it was with the studs in the track.

When i returned to the dealership with the snowmobile for repairs, I spoke directly to the owner of the dealership about the tunnel being damaged by the studs. His reply was that they would make the necessary repairs to make the snowmobile like new again. But 5 day later when i picked up the sled, not only did it not look new, but it looked as if some adolescent had been the individual who had "fixed" my sled.

Once I received the sled back, I had at that point decided that I would contact Polaris Industries directly. I looked up the phone number online, and then on that following Monday called them. I was less than happy with their response. They had at that point informed me that, "All dealers are considered independant dealerships", and any service that the dealer performs has nothing to do with Polaris. The most they were willing to do was to note that I had filed a "formal" complaint against the dealership. It would be kept on record with Polaris. So by the end of the day, not only is my sled not fixed, but Polaris really doesn't give a #####.

Before my conservation with Polaris, I had fully expected that this issue could calmly and peacefully be resolved. After my conservation with Polaris, that opinion no longer holds true.

As for Mattgross, the track deflection & alignment had just been completed by a different dealership that had performed the 300 mile service.

I am currently working with a different dealership, and my insurance company to see if the insurance will cover the repairs for the snowmobile. Further action may follow, I'll let you all know the results, and the action that has been taken.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
If you go through your insurance, dont you have to pay the deductable? Thats a pile of poo. Go to the original dealership, demand they fix it, or take them to small claims court.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts