Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question???? My brother has a 1997 Indy 500. Its black with the stock stickers. This last season I mentioned the sled looks stealthy. So now he wants to take all the stickers off, except maybe the INDY 500. What is the best way to remove these decals from the hood and tunnel without messing up the paint? There should be a picture of his sled on my profile. All knowledge and knowhow would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
hair dryer but a razor might scrape...i would just use your finger nail like i did it should just peel right off with the hair dryer

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I used my heat gun on my 99 very carefully on high and it worked great. You just have to be careful if you use one because they get very hot.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hair dryer is the best way to start if you have one. Heat gun if you don't. As said before, be very careful with the heat gun.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, check out the pic of the Indy, itll look pretty good all black

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I agree with the hair dryer and a razor blade, it wont scrape if you are careful when you use it, you can feel if you start to get out of the "groove".

·
Registered
274 Posts
The first thing I do when I get any kind of machine is strip the decals. The best method for me is a heat gun on low (or a hair dryer if no heat gun) & start at a corner with your finger nails. If you work it slow, peeling with one hand & using the heat gun to warm the rest of it up you can get it off in one piece (assuming there are no cracks in the decal or you get the heat gun too close to the part of the decal that's already off). After they're all off spray some WD-40 & wipe off the adhesive left behind. I do not agree with using a razor at any step (unless there is a part of the decal you want to leave on but it still scratches)because even if you're being careful, shit happens you know? Everyone has different methods though.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
MXZ700SKS700 said:
The first thing I do when I get any kind of machine is strip the decals. The best method for me is a heat gun on low (or a hair dryer if no heat gun) & start at a corner with your finger nails. If you work it slow, peeling with one hand & using the heat gun to warm the rest of it up you can get it off in one piece [/color=red](assuming there are no cracks in the decal or you get the heat gun too close to the part of the decal that's already off). After they're all off spray some WD-40 & wipe off the adhesive left behind. I do not agree with using a razor at any step (unless there is a part of the decal you want to leave on but it still scratches)because even if you're being careful, shit happens you know? Everyone has different methods though.

This truely is the best method but takes a steady heat gun hand and lots of patience, for me anyways.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone, now to just find time to bring the sled to the garage and start working on it, cuz you know once you start tinkering with your sled u just dont wanna stop.

·
Registered
232 Posts
heat gun works the best but be very careful as stated above but a hair dryer works nicely as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts