Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010102292554326_34029.jpg
20101022926092_34029.jpg

I am new to the snowmobiling world so I would really appreciate any insight you could give me before making my purchase. I am looking to purchase one of the 2 sleds pictured in this post.

The first is a '97 Indy Ultra 700 6,000 miles(private seller - $900)
It is a 2-stroke with electric start, reverse, studded track, and handwarmers
xtra 12

The 2nd is a '98 Polaris XLT SP 600 - 4700 miles (Dealership - $900)
The only features given to me were the handwarmers
xtra 10

I personally don't care what sled I buy as long as its reliable, comfortable, and fun! I will be doing a lot of trail riding and don't neccesarily need to go 100mph. I don't know enough about snowmobiles yet to see a difference in the two. Assuming they are both in good condition and functional which would you recommend for me? Also, would you rather buy from a private party or a dealer? Do either have a history of issues? Both are asking $900 for the sled!

Thank you very much for your expertise!!!

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Both sleds will do around 100 mph..

The XLT is a Gen2 chassis, heavy. Has an xtra-10 suspension, better for performance riding. (IE: racing and jumping) The motor in the XLT is a 600 monoblock, which is fairly reliable, but known to have issues with piston skirts breaking requiring engine rebuilds. (usually you can get away with a top end, which takes several hours and can be done for about $500, sometimes stuff gets stuck in the bottom, double the repair price)

The Ultra is a Wedge chassis, not quite as heavy. It has the xtra-12 which is a cruiser suspension. (better for trail cruising and bad backs) The motor, is the modular triple, you can put different jugs on it and make it an 800. (or get big-bore kits and make it a 1000, or 1200, etc) Known to be pretty rock solid as long as you keep the water pump functioning properly.

Without a doubt, go for the 700... It is a lighter chassis, and a better motor. As well as being higher powered, it's also not known to have as many problems, and better for trail cruising, as well as costing less for repairs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

Without a doubt, go for the 700... It is a lighter chassis, and a better motor. As well as being higher powered, it's also better for not known to have as many problems, as well as costing less for repairs.
Thanks! That's the way I was leaning, but part of me is more comfortable buying from a dealer rather than a private party, simply because I don't want someone to pull one over on me. Any advice on what to ask the seller before purchasing the sled? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Any dealer can pull a fast one on you as well. Things to check over would be compression, chain case (just pull the dipstick out check for big chunks of metal), bulkhead (although there doesn't appear to be any damage to the sled you just never know), the track. Those are just the basics, I'm sure I'm missing somethings but that gives you a good starting point.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this. With that Ultra if you decide to go and look at it, one thing I like to do when checking over a sled with studs is look under the tunnel. I like to check for any cracks that the studs may have caused and look at the heat exchangers as well. A couple other things to check for are the cogs and make sure the speedometer works. Reason I say speedometer is because sometimes when speedo quits the bearings wear out and snaps the key for speedo off and eventually your driveshaft will drop and let's just say it can be pricey to fix. (I hope I explained that right)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I personally would go with the 700 ultra. I own 1 of the 97 ultra spx models with the aggressive chassis and love the sled. I have had 0 problems with the triple motor how ever did have to replace a jackshaft bearing and then found the cause was the jackshaft.. A 50 dollar part used all over ebay... I came across one for free. But the motor is rock solid and stronger than heck.

Also the thought of a big bore kit may hit home for you after a season of riding it. The thing I look at is first over all condition. Some bumps and bruises are ok. Heck I bought mine with some cosmetic damage to the bulk head and a large crack on the hood. But check as already said compression, heat exchangers look for oil blow by IE on top of the motor or out the exhaust ports. Look for coolant leaks as watching the water pump close is 1 key thing I have heard on these motors. Tracks are always replaceable but if you check close it will get you a couple seasons. As for skids check the skags/carbides/what ever they are referred to in your area. And then check for the more normal stuff. Cob jobs being done as a "upgrade" and things such as that.

All in all I feel safer buying private party than a dealer any day. Good luck and I am sure you will get a reliable sled and a ton or 2 of snow!!! :D

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Just remember that the dealer will have a lot more experience at hiding sled problems...

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

The XLT is a Gen2 chassisthat XLT is in the Aggressive chassis, even heavier than the GenII[/color=red], heavy. Has an xtra-10 suspension, better for performance riding. (IE: racing and jumping) The motor in the XLT is a 600 monoblock, which is fairly reliable, but known to have issues with piston skirts breaking requiring engine rebuilds. (usually you can get away with a top end, which takes several hours and can be done for about $500, sometimes stuff gets stuck in the bottom, double the repair price)

The Ultra is a Wedge chassis, not quite as heavy. It has the xtra-12 which is a cruiser suspension. (better for trail cruising and bad backs) The motor, is the modular triple, you can put different jugs on it and make it an 800. (or get big-bore kits and make it a 1000, or 1200, etc) Known to be pretty rock solid as long as you keep the water pump functioning properly.

Without a doubt, go for the 700... It is a lighter chassis, and a better motor. As well as being higher powered, it's also not known to have as many problems, and better for trail cruising, as well as costing less for repairs.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Just remember that the dealer will have a lot more experience at hiding sled problems...
...and not personally know the sled. Whereas a private seller has had and rode the sled for a long time and actually knows a thing or two about it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Wedge, evolved, gen II, and agressive are all on the same basic chassis though..I dont think ive ever heard someone say xlt's had piston skirt problems. They were known for crank bearing problems, mostly in 95-96, and if they didnt blow within the first 2500 miles, they were usually fine. The xlt motor is pretty rock solid in 98 as they added the fourth oil line again. I would personally take the ultra, as its known to be more reliable, and has more power.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
PolarisIndySKS said:
I dont think ive ever heard someone say xlt's had piston skirt problems.
Then you need to read/listen more... lol

Google it sometime.. [thumb]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Both sleds will be GREAT trail sleds, thats what they were made for, well that and straight lines on a lake, but i would go for the ultra, i have had 3 of them in both chassis's and the wedge is definately lighter. As far as motor power goes, the ultra is also "better". the motor itself may be heavier than the XLT motor but makes up for it with power, plus when you put a set of pipes on that ultra..........HANG ON!!!!!! Both are great sleds, and you cant go wrong either way with the type of riding you will be doing, but i would try for the ultra.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Id get the ultra and swap out the xtra12 skid for an edge skid, get a set of pipes and it would be for me anyway, the perfect sled. The xlt is a nice sled as well i just dont care for looks of that chassis

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Ultra for sure. The wedge chassis are much better looking (IMO) and the 700 ultra will give you a little more punch. strong motor, strong sled. I'm sure you'll like either one though!

1,792 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
...and not personally know the sled. Whereas a private seller has had and rode the sled for a long time and actually knows a thing or two about it.
Unless that PS is trying to unload his lemon on you. An authorized dealer will likely charge more for a sled, but it might come with a pre-sale full inspection/repair of bad parts. An authorized dealer probably will probably be a little more trustworthy than a used sled dealer called, for example, "Ride It Like You Stole It Powersports".

newrider17 said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

Without a doubt, go for the 700... It is a lighter chassis, and a better motor. As well as being higher powered, it's also better for not known to have as many problems, as well as costing less for repairs.
Thanks! That's the way I was leaning, but part of me is more comfortable buying from a dealer rather than a private party, simply because I don't want someone to pull one over on me. Any advice on what to ask the seller before purchasing the sled? Thanks again.
If he makes any claims like "I rebuilt the motor last year", ask for a receipt for parts, ANYTHING. If he doesn't have one, put that in the "if you say so" column.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts