Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm wondering what the deepest lugged track I can fit into my 92 indy 500. I just took out the old track and there doesn't look to be much clearance in the front around the drive wheels. I wanted to go at least 1.5"

Thanks,

Also swapping in an xtra-10 and keep seeing discrepancies in recomended measurements for the mounting holes. So anyone who had put a 121" 99(or identical year) xtra-10 into a 92 or equal year, I'd love to hear what measurement worked for you.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just put a track on a 95 indy fan cooled.
put on a 1.25 but might have been able to go 1.5.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like it's a close fit even w/ the 1.25". Any idea if it's difficult to change the size of the wheels in there. And how large of a difference in the gear ratio a 1/2" smaller wheel would make?

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you think it's to tall,find something around the garage that'11/4 and another that's 11/2 by 15" attach to the track with wire or something.Lift sled so track is off the ground and rotate the track to see if it hits or which track gives you good clearance.
Just and Idea and cheaper than buying the wrong paddled track.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats way too logical. Now your making me feel lazy. DO you know about changing the drive wheels?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've never change the drive wheels but I'm sure someone on the forum has.
Just do a search and see what comes up on that topic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK found it! In case anyone else was wondering, to fit a 1.5-2" track on a 92 indy 500 classic you have to change the track drive sprocket to a smaller diameter. The stock sprocket is has 9 teeth and replacing it with an 8 tooth sprocket will allow you to fit the 1.5-2" track, your gearing will of course be lower as a result. Apparently the mountain sleds from those years had the 8tooth sprocket from the factory.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, Good info guys. I got a 92 Indy 500. It is a good performer on hard packed but powder its full throttle or dig yourself out. I wanted to put a 1.5 track on there but dont think that it would have fit, but as you say its just a matter of changing out the sprocket. So which mountain sled had the 8 tooth sprocket?

Also why didnt polaris put 1.5 lugs on every machine they sold ? Sounds to easy eh?

-Chris

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
they for got to tell you, you will have to remove the tunnel protectors. . Unless you are planning on notching your track, to fit around it.1.25 fits without the drive change. Right idea going to the smaller drive, between that and the taller lug, I believe no gear change will be necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts