Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got my job, I have to drive through rural areas more and I see lots of deer on the roads(not many hunters around here.)
And at the carwash I work at I see lot of trucks with the deer whistles on the bumpers to scare them off.

Does anyone have these on their truck? I was just curious to see if they were a good investment? I mean 5$ could save me 1000 in repair bills I guess.

What are your thoughts on these whistles?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
i've had people tell me they do work.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My parents have had them on their vehicles and the still hit deer. They are a joke in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My wife has deer whistles on her truck and it seems to work. When she didnt have the whistles on her truck and when she approaches the deer it took them a while to get out the way...when she installed the whistles the deers get out the way alot faster.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
bigrok said:
My parents have had them on their vehicles and the still hit deer. They are a joke in my opinion.
I think Minnesota Deer developed a tolerance to them.... or they are too stupid to get out of the way...

Mount a gun to the hood of your car and you'll never see a deer again lol [thumb]

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Or you could just honk your horn at the stupid things. My dad and I saw a buck monday morning going into school after season closed. He was just walking across the road, dad just honked and he started running. And a plus side of it is...you already have it!

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Where I live, I have to take evasive maneuvers on an average of once a month to avoid hitting a deer... I'm curious to know if they work or not as well.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Yes they seem to work, the deer run right at my truck now.

I dodge one or two a month it seems like. One night I braked for 3 then after a mile or two down the road I saw a big doe and slowed way down, but she still decided to gape out and throw my Ford Stranger a nice hip check.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i mean for $5 you might as well buy one and see what you think of it.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I use to have those whistles on my F150,that was until a deer knocked them off when I hit it. They usually plug up with bugs right away in the summer and do not work anyways.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
MX86 said:
bigrok said:
I think Minnesota Deer developed a tolerance to them.... or they are too stupid to get out of the way...

Mount[highlight=yellow] a gun[/highlight=yellow] to the hood of your car and you'll [highlight=yellow]never see a deer again[/highlight=yellow] lol [thumb]
Isn't that the truth..... like deer season, it's like they KNOW.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hahaha Actually I don't even have to buy them. they fall off at the carwash all the time. I'll just snag 2 of them and use them till they fall of. ahha probably just a gimmick.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
About 20 years ago the Department of Natural Resources here in Minnesota did a study on them. Study said they didn't do a thing!

Opinions vary on who you ask......

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
The deer are just a pain in the ass in the lp, my papa(not dad) didn't hit one but the a deer ran into him! Totalled a 2 month old cap. If they are only 5 bucks might aswell just try one.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
here in at a state camp ground this is no lie my cousin was riding his bike and a deer ran out in front of him. he got road rash from it

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I've had 2 close calls on my sleds from deer too.. I wonder how effective deer whistles would be on them!?!?

They shouldn't clog up with bugs at least...[thumb]

Then again, I'll probably get yelled at by land-owners for making noise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts