Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time out this year on my 1994 Indy XLT (which I picked up at an auction this year) and it stopped suddenly after about a mile of riding. I can't turn the engine over with the pull start. I put new plugs in back in the fall and have had it running for 20 minutes or so prior to this outing. Now, there is a distinct difference on one of the plugs. It is darker than the other ones and has little bumps on the end. All plugs were very dry, virtually no oil visible and yes I had a full tank of oil. So, with the combination of not being able to turn over the engine and a black plug did I burn a piston??? And, if you have had this happen to you, how much can I expect to pay to get it fixed???

Thanks

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I will get a couple sleds out of the shop this week. sounds like you locked her up. I am not that far from you. about an hour. well worth your drive.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Originally posted by madcow
[br]I will get a couple sleds out of the shop this week. sounds like you locked her up. I am not that far from you. about an hour. well worth your drive.
another xlt for yah madcow!! madcows putting a new top end on my 93 xltsp.he came highly recommended form another fanatic here.

·
Registered
360 Posts
yeah it sure sounds like you burned one hole up. it sucks ive been there fixed it month later i was riding again if you fix it take your time on it it is worth it sry to hear it. nick

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So do you think I broke a rod or something else preventing the engine from truning over???

This repair might be above my comfort level.

Thanks.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Originally posted by SnowKingSpecial
[br]if u burnt one piston u would still hear her try to turn over, somtimes it will run but wont move when its burnt
not if the piston siezes to the cylinder walls

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can not turn it over at all using the pull start rope. When I took the belt off to tow it back the primary clutch will turn somewhat. I thought this was very odd. I have not tried turning it over with the electric start yet. I'm afraid it might do more damage.

·
Registered
345 Posts
if it will only turn over a little then do not try to start it with the electric start. all you will do is create further problems. if you are not comfortable with taking a engine apart, i would suggest bringing it to someone who is like Madcow. If I was closer I'd do it!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Go with madcow. It sounds like you need a bit of work. I turned my original XLT triple motor into a twin. I hope you fare better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts