Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Those were a sweet sled. I had one for a few weeks(loaner).
The 400,500,650's were all bullet proof. They had very few issues with them.

Not sure why you had issues but we owned them from 86-90. They were mainly training sleds for my brother and I. We we could not kill them not sure how you did.

Funny thing is the 400 xc was actually a 440 in sheeps clothing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i have a 91 indy 400 and i love the sled i will never get rid of it, it has 9000+ miles on it and i have never had motor problems, great motor great suspension great handling AWESOME SLED!....and i have never heard of a xc 400 till now

·
Registered
862 Posts
Originally posted by POLARISXC440
[br]why are the 400 built proof i had one and i have nothing good to say about that machine just curious?
Too bad you have had problems and nothing good too say. As mentioned the 400 powertrain was one of the better for Polaris, not many issues with them at all. Not enough power stressing any parts could have been one on the factors for this ;) lol. Just overall good machines. Too bad you have had issues...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The Indy 400 XC was a very rare non production sled in 1991 only. Very limited numbers of these things around. Basically it is the early predecessor of the XCR 440. I didn't even know they exsisted until a few years back and I was flipping thru a Polaris Microfiche from 91 and it was in there, I thought it was a mistake, but nope. Just like the first XLT's were actually in 92, again very rare and not production.

·
Registered
482 Posts
pretty sweet, yet interesting to think that the technology that went into your 98's and whatnot was actually from 7 years+ prior! It really is pretty much the same.
I guess that goes for snowmobiles in general, small improvements over time lead to some great sleds, from the xcr to zr to phazer, its just great. oh, and the rev too, its the same idea, just with some small changes.
now does it make sense why the competition is so close and why brand to brand is so competetive, yet they all share secrets behind closed doors... hmm...

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I want to see those twin pipes under that hood PolarisXC440. You took them off of a 650...is this correct?

·
Registered
34 Posts
That red XC is mine. I LOVE the thing to death. The only down side is im having kind of a hard time finding aftermarket parts, so far ive found a single pipe, but i dont have the cash for it yet. i'm about to put on bar risers, some fett bros traction plates, and we are going to try to fit a 136" under it off of an arctic cat i believe it is. i cut off the sway bar, and i'm surprised how much better it rides. It is already tuned perfectly, with a ton of bottom end (Tops at maybe 55MPH, gets their in maybe 2.0-3.0 seconds. but no speedometer so i don't know for sure). BigFordMan has riddin it and he Thinks its awesome as well. too bad they didn't make more of these things. It has fox shox, and runs like a raped ape once its warmed up. considering the track is only a 121" with 1/2" cleats it still climbs pretty well. I will try and get some pictures of it outside or even better, in action. Any one know were i can get some parts i would greatly appreciate it.[:)] I feel bad tearing it up but i just can't get enough.

·
Super Moderator
11,283 Posts
55mph? My 400 will do 75mph, yours must really be geared down or something.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by RMK-KING
[br]55mph? My 400 will do 75mph, yours must really be geared down or something.
I will have to get a speedo cable for it, maybe it does go faster but im not sure. i Think the guy before me ran it at the grass drags but he did race it. that would be interesting to find out though.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
there was not alot produced, my guess would be no more than 500 of them. Utrax42, maybe you should consider keeping that sled as original as possible before you molest it, it might be worth a few bucks down the road seeing as how it is very rare an all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts