Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K boys,, sounds like we have a few diesel luvers on the site. Lets see whatcha got!

post a pics, 1/4 times HP/torque what ever.

I have invested a few bucks into my 08 F250.

Spartan programer full tune package!,upto 350 hp, for a 525 RWHP, and just under 1200 lbs of torque. Complete Suncoast Transmission, AFE cold air intake stage 2, Elite head bolts, Elite valves and springs, 4" exhaust dpf delete , and a few other goodies. fuel milage, 26-30 empty and 15-17 with the 30 ft 5 th wheel.

Lets chat!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My truck is a 1997 F-250 XLT Ext cab Long bed, 7.3 Powerstroke, E4OD auto [Disappointed], 4x4 off-road package, 179k miles. So far its stock except for a 120v IDM, and DIY intake. Very soon it will be getting custom tunes from [email protected], 160cc injectors/stock nozzles, 3in downpipe to a 4 or 5 inch rear dump exhaust, and gauges. And i'm either going to try to play with the E4OD, or get a 5 speed in it. Hopefully by next summer i'll have the drivetrain ready for pulling, and i'm going to give it a shot.

The day I bought it.

What it looks like now.

For looks i'm trying to find a set of factory OBS alcoa's, and i'm looking into having a friend build me a off-road front bumper. If i get a bumper it will have some way to hang weights off it for pulling.

My goal for next summer is to intercool it, get valve springs so i can turn 4k RPM's, traction/ladder bars, electric fuel system, and 17* HPOP. That should put me over 300 at the wheels with a 5 speed. That will also max out the turbo, so i might have to find a GT38R or a D66 to drop in.

By the way, i'm JD3020 on the other diesel sites. Which so far i'm only on PS.org.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
updated the turbo on the 4640 tractor and went from 160 up to 180 hp!!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
sledhead_2002 said:
K boys,, sounds like we have a few diesel luvers on the site. Lets see whatcha got!

post a pics, 1/4 times HP/torque what ever.

I have invested a few bucks into my 08 F250.

Spartan programer full tune package!,upto 350 hp, for a 525 RWHP, and just under 1200 lbs of torque. Complete Suncoast Transmission, AFE cold air intake stage 2, Elite head bolts, Elite valves and springs, 4" exhaust dpf delete , and a few other goodies. fuel milage, 26-30 empty and 15-17 with the 30 ft 5 th wheel.[/color=red]

Lets chat!

Is that US MPG or Imperial MPG?

Right now I've got an 07 Cummins 5.9L and an 09 Cummins 6.7L.

The 5.9 is all stock. It used to have a Smarty POD. I never dynoed it, but it should of gotten me about 425 hp and 750 tq at the wheels from what I've seen out of other 5.9s. It's for sale if anyone is interested.

20089151883920_13391.jpg

My 09 Mega Cab 6.7 is stock also, at least for another 7 weeks. It's sitting in my dad's shop waiting for me to come and get it. Once I get home, I've got a dpf and an egr delete kit, Smarty S67, aFe intake, and Isspro gauges waiting for it. My list of things to do: intake horn, egr cooler delete, 33" tires (maybe some rims too), airbags, and clutch some day.

201062222569234_13391.jpg

My dad's got an 01 dually. It's all stock. It's the pulling rig on the farm.

2009129203224229_13391.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
^^^^ you should be able to turn up the pump up and get alot more than that. My uncles got a 4320 with a turned up injector pump pushing out almost 170 horse[:D] tractor data says a 4320 came stock with only like 105 hp

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
If I could afford a diesel, I'd definitely do it. My friend has a 98? Cummins turbo diesel in a dodge 3500 extended cab 2 wheel drive. Things weighing in just over 9k lbs. Cant beat the torque or reliability ( except on the Chevy 6.5's )

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
sledcrusher said:
If I could afford a diesel, I'd definitely do it. My friend has a 98? Cummins turbo diesel in a dodge 3500 extended cab 2 wheel drive. Things weighing in just over 9k lbs. Cant beat the torque or reliability ( except on the Chevy 6.5's )
A 2nd gen (94-02) ext cab 2wd doesn't come close to 9k lbs. My dad's 01 with a heavy steel flatbed and 4wd weighs in at just over 8k, stock is around 7250 lbs. How can a 2wd weigh less? Chevy hasn't made a torquey diesel. Hook any trailer to it and you can't hardly move at all. The D-max is by far their best diesel and in IMHO pulling wise, it can't even touch a Cummins.

·
Registered
634 Posts
sledcrusher said:
If I could afford a diesel, I'd definitely do it. My friend has a 98? Cummins turbo diesel in a dodge 3500 extended cab 2 wheel drive. Things weighing in just over 9k lbs. Cant beat the torque or reliability ( except on the Chevy 6.5's )[/color=red]

The 6.5 were useless just like the 6.2. They both needed a turbo or two. and both got shitty mpg. 6.2 lacked power and the 6.5 was a pig with a turbo but could have used another to make up for the lack of power. 6.6 was a big improvement but still lacks in power compared to the powerchokes and cumovers. the 6.6 is now the quietest diesel on the market. seen as how im a chevy guy id go with a duramax over them all.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Our little 3020 dyno'ed 98 HP once, i think stock they made under 60. It had some serious pump work and a turbo. My grandpa said that little 4 cylinder made amazing power, and was strong. But it was built for sled pulls, not farm work. So my grandpa had it returned back to stop. BTW, he bought it hopped up.

I'm so glad i don't have to mess with all the emissions BS with my truck. Even though it does suck that it takes 3-4k in motor work just to compete with the new trucks. [beatup] And my truck gets 16.7 average, a good mix of country/city driving. Its also running on some crappy injectors. I should be getting around 20 once i get it running good and a 5 speed in it. [thumb]

Any of you guys run fuel additives? So far i've tried 2-stroke oil and some actual fuel additive. I gained 1.5 MPG's just by adding some additives. This ULSD shit is a joke. Ya might as well pour water in the motor, thats what this diesel feels like anymore. [Disappointed]

And our 2008 F-450 extended cab long bed 2wd weighed in at 15k lbs. It also had a 11ft utility body loaded with tools and supplies. [confused] We still can't figure that truck out though. It had an incredible amount of power, and smoked. I think somewhere along the line we got lucky and something in the emissions system got messed up. I miss that truck.

·
Registered
634 Posts
We just recently got our 986 pushin 175hp or so. used an old water/pto dino so not sure how accurate it is. smoked the pto clutch while running the last dino run. [dunno]

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Sounds like a sweet setup you have sledhead_2002, I have heard those spartan tunes make mega power on those new fords. +350hp from a tuner is nuts,shows how detuned the ECU is on them.

I have a 07 Ram 2500 5.9

Nothing to wild, Smarty Jr programmer and free flowing exhaust thats good for 400hp/750ftlbs at the wheels. I can turn it up to 425hp but plan on getting a goerend triple disk converter and valve body before adding anymore HP to it. Empty 21mpg is the best iv had hand calculated and 11-14 pulling depending on the load weight.

20081117104711234_1554.jpg

20081117104621625_1554.jpg

bigrok said:
A 2nd gen (94-02) ext cab 2wd doesn't come close to 9k lbs. My dad's 01 with a heavy steel flatbed and 4wd weighs in at just over 8k, stock is around 7250 lbs. How can a 2wd weigh less? Chevy hasn't made a torquey diesel. Hook any trailer to it and you can't hardly move at all. The D-max is by far their best diesel and in IMHO pulling wise, it can't even touch a Cummins.
We have a few 6.5 diesels at the plant I work at and I was amazed how gutless they were,I think my F150 could out pull one of those.

OhioPolarisKid said:
Any of you guys run fuel additives? So far i've tried 2-stroke oil and some actual fuel additive. I gained 1.5 MPG's just by adding some additives. This ULSD shit is a joke. Ya might as well pour water in the motor, thats what this diesel feels like anymore. [Disappointed]
I have used 2 stroke oil before. I like Howes diesel additive though,it has worked good as a anti-gel for me and has alot of other benefits that you can read about on their website.
http://www.howeslube.com/dieseltreat.php

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice trucks!! ill get a pic up on mine in a bit, YES i be Canadian and those are imperial miles per gallon

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
fusionshuk06 said:
^^^^ you should be able to turn up the pump up and get alot more than that. My uncles got a 4320 with a turned up injector pump pushing out almost 170 horse[:D] tractor data says a 4320 came stock with only like 105 hp
the 4320 was 115 stock. I could turn the pump up but black smoke ='s heat. the same engine was used in combines to make 255 hp. so making more power isnt hard but you have to do it the right way so the tractor can still last for thousands of hours. the 4320 was a great tractor but they lacked cooling, at 170 hp you cant put it at full load long before you are to hot and need to back off.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
RMK-KING said:
I have used 2 stroke oil before. I like Howes diesel additive though,it has worked good as a anti-gel for me and has alot of other benefits that you can read about on their website.
I'll have to look into that. In the winter we add Diesel 911 if its going to get real cold, and we've never had a gelling problem.

Another additive my truck really loved was ATF. I poured some into the fuel bowl when i first changed the fuel filter cause it was nasty. Once i got done cleaning it, i poured some more into the bowl and fired it up. The truck ran silky smooth for a couple seconds, then went back to the super-rough idle/hammering from worn-out injectors.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i use fords additive, good so far, but i do stay away from Flyin J fuel. never an issue to date with water or dirty filters

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
82 GMC High Sierra with 6.2. Rebuilt the motor at 300,000 miles its about a 6.4 now and I put the banks turbo kit on it. Cant touch a modern diesel, and not the greatest for towing anything big even if it had the power because its a half ton. Works well for towing the two place snowmobile trailer. Idk why you say they get $hitty fuel milleage, I get around 23 highway which isnt all that bad in my book. Just kind or a cool pickup IMO.

Im looking to get a D-Max one of these days, Idk what it is with all you cummins guys(no offence) but they arent they amazing machines some think they are. Dont get me wrong they arent bad by any means. Cummins is a great motor but im not impressed ever since they went to 24 valve. The 24 valve is still a good motor but the biggest problem is its wrapped in a dodge.

·
Registered
863 Posts
BskidooC said:
82 GMC High Sierra with 6.2. Rebuilt the motor at 300,000 miles its about a 6.4 now and I put the banks turbo kit on it. Cant touch a modern diesel, and not the greatest for towing anything big even if it had the power because its a half ton. Works well for towing the two place snowmobile trailer. Idk why you say they get $hitty fuel milleage, I get around 23 highway which isnt all that bad in my book. Just kind or a cool pickup IMO.

Im looking to get a D-Max one of these days, Idk what it is with all you cummins guys(no offence) but they arent they amazing machines some think they are. Dont get me wrong they arent bad by any means. Cummins is a great motor but im not impressed ever since they went to 24 valve. The 24 valve is still a good motor but the biggest problem is its wrapped in a dodge.[/color=red]

thank you! and i totally agree.
i have thought about making the same kind of topic recently, but you beat me too it!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Why not get a 7.3? Excellent motor in an excellent truck. One of the best trucks ever made. Period.

·
Registered
822 Posts
^I've got 3 diesels...a '05 Jeep Liberty CRD, a '00 F-350 S-Crew, and a '86 Chevy Silverado. The Liberty is a little tractor, sounds just like a semi with it's little 4 cylinder, and is good for 30ish MPG on the highway. That's hard to beat in a 4x4! The F-350 has bigger injectors, built 4r100 transmission, intake, 5" exhaust and a TD chip. I've never had it dynoed but I'd conservatively say it's around 350 RWHP. Finally, the silverado is my work rig, all stock.

Will try to get pictures when it stops raining!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
RMK-KING said:
Sounds like a sweet setup you have sledhead_2002, I have heard those spartan tunes make mega power on those new fords. +350hp from a tuner is nuts,shows how detuned the ECU is on them.

I have a 07 Ram 2500 5.9

Nothing to wild, Smarty Jr programmer and free flowing exhaust thats good for 400hp/750ftlbs at the wheels. I can turn it up to 425hp but plan on getting a goerend triple disk converter and valve body before adding anymore HP to it. Empty 21mpg is the best iv had hand calculated and 11-14 pulling depending on the load weight.

20081117104711234_1554.jpg

20081117104621625_1554.jpg

bigrok said:
We have a few 6.5 diesels at the plant I work at and I was amazed how gutless they were,I think my F150 could out pull one of those.

OhioPolarisKid said:

very pretty truck

1 - 20 of 199 Posts