Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to sled..and i really want a indy 500....but some look diff than others...is it cuz the years or diff models

some look like this
[image]http://images.50below.com/facility/interlakes.us/000_0322.JPG[/image]

and the kind i want looks like this
[image]http://www.snowmobilertv.on.ca/images/stv/yourpics32.jpg[/image]

thanx.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
The second one is newer with a more updated suspension and ergoes. Same engines in each, just evolution taking place.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tnx....how much do these aftermarket windshields cost???

[image]http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/attachments/50768.jpg[/image]

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
haha hey thats my sled, lol. i payed 100 cdn for it

·
Registered
577 Posts
windsheilds would be about $80-$100Cdn

The first style is 10 years+ old. Cheaper to buy, lots of parts everywhere. But they may need some TLC.
The second one, the *Evolved* Style was the next version. Nicer ride, same engine. It wasn't around for too long, parts may be harder to find.
Either one would be nice. But don't buy older than 94/95. any older and they had 38" ski stances... Lame handling. ..or maybe it was 93/94..hmmmm

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The second one is at least 10 years old . The first pic could be as new as a 93. The evolved chassis(second pic) was around from 94-99 I believe. BTW that's one of the most reliable sleds of all time, I don't think you will be dissapointed.[;)]

·
Registered
855 Posts
I had the "evolved" 97 Indy 500 it was my first sled I owned. Great sled! plenty of power for the trails and really really easy to steer, the ride is nice, I would pick one up for a back up sled if I had the Money. those 488 L/C were built like a rock

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i heard alot about the indy 500's having a nice strong engine, and apparently there very good on water too. but as lame as this may sound i only saw a indy like 2 weeks ago, and ever since then i want one lol

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The first one is a wedge, which the same basic chassis was around from 88-98 They updated suspension and put various motors in them as the years went on. Not sure on the 500 specifically but 96 is when the xtra10 was first put for rear suspension. The pre x10 kinda really sucked. By 97 it should have the 10 up front too.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My only suggestion is to stay away from the fuel injected models. Not that they had a lot of problems, but when they do they are harder and more expensive to fix.

I just bought a 90 indy 500 for $500.00. I just had to disassemble some suspension components and get the dried hard grease out of it and clean the carbs. It sat for about 4 years but it only has 1100 original miles. Seems to run good...in the grass. Maybe one day I'll get a chance to ride it in some snow. As stated the suspension kind of stinks but I plan on upgrading it and it shouldn't cost more than $200.00.

Good luck on your search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts