Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, this may seem like a stupid question but I'm sure someone will know the answer. I was just curious as to the differences from a regular fusion and a fusion IQ? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Mainly the name. They were trying to get away from the fusion 900 problems.

They are now called the iq chassis not the fusion.

They have had some refinments to the front suspension geometry also.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
There is no such thing as a "Fusion IQ". Its either Fusion or IQ. They are basically the same sled. The Fusion name has such a negative perception to it that Polaris wanted to get away from the name completely.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Technically the Fusion is on the IQ chassis. With the problems they had with the Fusion they dropped the name in favor of IQ. 05 and up RMK's, FST's and some Switchbacks are also in the IQ chassis.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks guys, I was asking because I say a guy listing a "05 900 fusion IQ" and it didn't make sense to me. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Originally posted by polarisrider700
[br]Hey thanks guys, I was asking because I say a guy listing a "05 900 fusion IQ" and it didn't make sense to me. Thanks for your input.
He is actually somewhat correct. He should have said 05 fusion 900 with the new IQ chassis. In short both have the IQ chassis.

If you take all of the plastic off of the fusion and replace it with RMK/IQ plastic they will look the same.

I read that the IQ/RMK plastic is interchangeable with the fusion, but you have to replace all plastic.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hood, plastic, spindles, cooling system (RMK models), motor mounts (900 rmk), rider slect (some models) and suspension specs. Not a bunch but alot when compared side by side to each other in performance ride and handling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ford won the court battle over the name, poo then had no choice but to change it to something different.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
^^^^Not that it should matter as they are not in the same market.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
^I agree. Ford made a truck called the "Ranger EDGE" and Cadillac used to make a car called the, "SRX". Neither resulted in a lawsuit.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Originally posted by Memphis
[br]Ford won the court battle over the name, poo then had no choice but to change it to something different.

All within 2 years?? BS! Waste of money for Ford as the sled world would not affect automotive, good or bad.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Major corporations fight over petty little things, look at WWF now WWE and WWF World Wildlife Federation, guess who won that one. This one may be just a rumor, however one thing most people do not realize is the enormous cost involved in something that seems so simple like a name change.

Weanright I can tell from your comment that your one of the people that are oblivious to corporate life, don't take that the wrong way, it's not a bad thing, you probably have far less headaches than I.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sorry but your wrong. I am smack dead in the middle of these type of issues. WWE and WWF can easily be linked because of the media and word of mouth. Polaris doesn't advertise on TV and for the most part is not in the media's eye. When asked Polaris executives why they changed the name they said they "want to start fresh with a great new chassis". Maybe not the only reason but I bet it was the biggest. There is a boundary that IP needs to stay in and this falls outside of it. All yellow Skidoo are a trademark so Polaris had to change the switchback colors to include a black belly pan. This is within the boundary, all yellow cars are not! Triton is a Ford trademark and recognized within the Automotive markets. Triton used in a non-automotive market is not. One last thing, with all of Ford's problems I don't think they will go after a puny snowmobile company. They may have requested the change knowing it would be hard battle to win.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Polaris does advertise alot around here and I don't beleive you can trademark a color. That would be like harley trying to trademark their sound which they did and it got thrown out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes Skidoo did and Polaris had to change, I believe it was a 2004 model year. Same would be with an all green (why??) or red snowmobile. Harleys did have a patent pending and Polaris fought or shown prior artwork (sound design) voiding out the patent. We all lost on this one! Advertising I am talking about would be national.

It is amazing what a letter from a Lawyer could do! We were not there so who knows.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts