Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few of you guys have owned these sleds. But i want to know the exact difference's between regular 1996 XCR's and the sp's. I looked a p-mans website a found a few difference's but nothing to drastic because i was told that the sleds are very much different. And yes i already know that they are a different color [:p]

·
Registered
864 Posts
Regular are we talking the xcr 3 cly three pipe? vs sp.? Sp had the added gauge package, fuel,temp, plastic skies etc..
or the Xcr monoblock vs the Xcr case reed motors..?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry i didnt clarify, i'm talking about both 600 XCR's from 96.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
What I know of is the XCR was in the Indy or standard chassis and had a single pipe. The XCR SP was in the aggressive chassis, had triple pipes and was a case reed engine(I think)

·
Registered
277 Posts
The XCR 600 was the monoblock triple with a single pipe in the old wedge chassis. It put out about 90 hp and weighed in about 490 lb. It was a piston port engine and was quite the sled when it first came out for the 600 class. The XCR 600 SP was a totally new motor with seperate cylinders and case reed induction. It also came with triple pipes from the factory in the then new aggressive chassis. It put out about 118 hp and weighed in around 545 lb. The SP is a great lake racer, groomed trial high speed cruiser where the XCR 600 was better in the trails and twisties where the lighter weight is easier to throw around. Only a few parts on the chassis are the same for both models. You have 2 totally different chassis sleds that were meant for 2 different types of riding. But they were both pretty dam good in their day.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Maydaze, that is exactly what i was looking for!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Only thing I'd add...
The 96 were less than ideal out of the box, 97 and 98 where much nicer and had the carb cdi issues out of the way but still needed some clutching to make them sing.. Simple HTG kit and some boyseens did wonders. Had a 97 with clutching and just loved it. 7900 miles worth, traded up after

·
Registered
614 Posts
Also the sp needed upgrades to thermostat in 96.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well guys I was sucked into the 'triple-triple' craze back in 1997. I bought and still own a 97 XCR 600 se. It only has 3200 miles on it and like 'gbaronet' said, they need to be clutched to make them run. I have 2 set ups, one for trail riding and one for drag racing. I geared it down some and put v-force reeds in it for better throttle response. A set of Hot Seat heads and 144 chisel tooth studs. She runs just fine and will hold its own against any new 600. As long as I have 1/4 of a tank of gas to keep the weight down! It easier to do that than for me to lose some weight! But man I cant wait to buy me a new light-weight 'Edge' chassis. Some day.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Friend of our up here put on the HTG800 big bore on ths sled when we had ours. Very impressive, but no varible.Were gathering parts for a sleeper project on my buddies 98. Will be the new style 800ves top end and rack carbs, little porting by Iantomasi and viola.. 165~170hp solid ponies with 600 stickers..
Around here the little 600 is in it's element, nice open places, sweeping corners, not too much tight stuff.
Suppose that's why I bought another.
Will be done for next year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts