Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everone i am new to this place and i love it so much ..now my question is about what would happen if i were to run realy high fuel in my sled ..like AVGAS 100 low led ...same thing used in small aircraft ..some people say it wont hurt it at all but i would have to do i get different spark plugs , and other people say it will run so hot i will melt the head anyone know anything about this ..i am riding a 97 XLT well for now..i am looking at a 2001 sxr 700 and if anyone knows anything about the sxr 700 please let me know

·
Registered
837 Posts
your machine is not set up to run that gas and you will waste money. yuou could go to a higher compression by having your head milled then you could run that gas, i don't even rung high octane because there is not a different in the performance

·
Registered
277 Posts
You would gain absolutely nothing! You would most likely lose power! The higher the octane the cooler the burn. High octane fuels have a higher flash point, meaning it can take more compression and heat before detonating. In your stock sled you want to run as low an octane that you can get away with before knocking. Thay way you are making the most power with your engine. Plus aviation fuel has a higher rate of oxygen in it that you dont need with your motor. Run 87 or 89 octane and make the most with your motor.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
maydayz is correct. Run the least octane fuel you can without burning down. That's where you have the most power.

Now, if you wanna play with timing and compression, run hi octane, and you will get more powa. But if your timing and compression is constant, higher octane=less powa.

-Dean

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
MAYDAZE, has it right.
The only reason to run fuel with that high an octane rating is if you have really high compression and would burn up the motor if you didn't. That stuff is expensive. I run 91 octane in my T-Cat just for a little safety factor on the jetting.

Member #2 of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team

1 - 5 of 5 Posts