Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally almost finished the revamping of the 97 XCR 440 that I picked up last year, from what I can tell this one was definatly raced and for sure was not taken care of by the previous owner that I bought it from, being laid off for over two months now and money being really TIGHT!!! I managed to get the new cylinder that I needed and get the motor back toghether, also as you will see in the pictures my addition of a 98 XC 700 seat/tank assembly, (I know some of you XCR purists may cry foul to this mod but at my age (just turned 40 on the 31st...lol) my knees and hips just cannot take the seating position of the racer seat/tank for long trail riding sessions, I think what really sets my XCR off is the addition of the BLUE trailing arms and snow flap out back, I also installed the red running board grippers, the fishbones came with the sled, I know for sure that this sled is not in as good of condition as some of you other XCR 440 owner's sleds but I thought you all would like to see what I cooked up for mine,I will be picking up my rear/rear shock from JBSHOCKS tonight so that I can get the skid installed and then maybe it the weather just might change for us...YEA RIGHT!!! let me know what you all think about what I have done.
[attachment=54433][attachment=54434]
[attachment=54435][attachment=54436]
[attachment=54437][attachment=54438]
[attachment=54439][attachment=54440]
[attachment=54441][attachment=54442]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Nice looking machine!! Who cares about purists - if you can't ride it what's the point!

I feel your pain with being laid off. Have all the time in the world for all the toys, but no money for parts.

Still have that windhsield?

Bryan

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
That is abit different looking, looks good. I see you ran it on the black top. What kind of times were you runing with it? What is done to it for clutching? I was looking at your y-pipe/pipe set up and I cannot tell if you run 2 or 1 shims behind it. If only 1 try 2 shims and see if there is any difference in the times you are running.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian, I still have the windshield, been saving it for ya...lol, I was getting ready to post it for sale along with some other parts I found in the garage over this past weekend when I had nothing better to do than clean up the shop, shoot me a PM and we'll talk.....Steve.

quote]Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]Nice looking machine!! Who cares about purists - if you can't ride it what's the point!

I feel your pain with being laid off. Have all the time in the world for all the toys, but no money for parts.

Still have that windhsield?

Bryan
[/quote]

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by X-Treme3x
[br]That is abit different looking, looks good. I see you ran it on the black top. What kind of times were you runing with it? What is done to it for clutching? I was looking at your y-pipe/pipe set up and I cannot tell if you run 2 or 1 shims behind it. If only 1 try 2 shims and see if there is any difference in the times you are running.
What you see running on the tar is my 700 with the 440 hood on it, the 700's hood was out for paint at the time of that picture, I only have one shim behind the donut but I know what you are talking about and I also know who told you about the two shims, I would like to find another one without having to go through the dealer for it, the clutching that came with this sled was close to what POCKETS from HCS tells to run, it had a 50/36S with a EPI yellow and a EPI red in the primary with the S-53 stock weights that look to me like the heels have been shaved a bit,I have not had the on a scale as of yet to find out what they weigh, I am gonna play with some different helix's once I get it out for testing,it had 21/41 gearing in it, I dropped the bottom to a 39, did not have the 20 for the top, with the warm temps and no snow to ride on its pretty hard to tune a sled on the lift in the garage, I'm sure I will be spending a day tinkering to find out what setup works best for me, I guess a particular clutch setup depends on whether your trail bashing or drag racing, I'll be sure to try and let you know what it does when I get to run it.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Ahh yes..I getch ya now. Yes that would be the helix to run. Are you using the 074 belt to? Depending on the spring rates of the EPI the primary HSP black and orange HSP secondary #3 hole work excellent I find. I was running both HSP white then pockets said to use the black/orange combo and I was so impressed with the outcome. I use HSP X series weights which are 50.5g heavy tipped but I have HSP W2 49.5g heavy tipped that I am going to put in once Im going agian. Pretty much you want the sled to hold 8200rpm for peak power but at WOT runs you can see 8300-8400rpm, but 8200 is the spot. I am not sure if the 2 shims do anything more or not..I guess you would need a timer set up to really find out but I run 2 now anyways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts