Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if a 91 nissan pathfinder has limited slip differentials. How can you tell? Does any body know if it does have limited slip differentials off the bat. I need to know because I am changing all the oils in my pathfinder.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
many oils work fine for limited slip or non limited slip but as for whether yours has it you have to check your options list. I am sure Limited slip was not a standarad item but an option. Just a point, being as you are new I am sure you don't know but this shoud raelly go in the Vehicles and Boats forum not here.

·
Registered
837 Posts
when its icey are wet or muddy, role into it then hold the brake and hit the gas or just hit the gas and see if one or both tires spin, and when you change fluid if you have to pull the cover off you can tell, if its limited slip there will be springs if not there will be some gears only

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
better test. Put each tire on a different meduim, with different traction. Worst case seceareo, one tire on ice, one on dry pavement. Then hit the gas (don't floor it tho). If the one tire spins, and you go no-where, you have an open diff. if you still accellerate decently, you have a LSD.

-Dean

-
let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

http://ripperd2.dhs.org

·
Registered
506 Posts
umm, guys there's easier and less destructive ways to do this.

jack the rear end up, spin a tire, if the opposite tire spins the same direction, U got a posi, if it spins the opposite direction, no limited slip.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
167 Posts
use synthetics if you can, last winter my 93 nissan sentra almost became unbearable to shift when cold, "very stiff" so i changed to a synthetic, redline MT-90, and wow what a diffrance easy no matter how cold it gets, but you have to watch what you use, MT-90 was the only synthetic oil speficed for this tranny as it has brass synros and mobil 1 dosent work well in the long run with them. it is actually to slick, or so a nissan mechanic told me.

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts