Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of purchasing a digital camera so I can take some pix this winter. I know about as much about them as I do women. Which is pretty much nothing. I just hope there not as high maintenance. J/K Little humor there.[:D] Does any one have any suggestions on brands or pixel size (I think thats the right thing "pixel"). Anyway, I probably won't be printing much, just putting them on the web. I'd like to stay around the $200 range. Thanks for any of your help or suggestions.

G

·
0 Posts
I bought one at wall mart. $49 Dollars. Works perfect for internet stuff. You can see some of my pics in the Mountain Riding area of this forum. Look for Ski-Doo and Polaris pictures. I also posted some pics in the snow conditions area. I figured, why by an expensive camera and bang it around in the snow and on the dirt bikes.

This was my first try and Digital Cameras and internet pics.

D

·
Registered
874 Posts
3.1 megapixel is nice if you want to enlarge your pictures beyond 3.5" x 5" size. The higher the optical zoom you can get, the better (digital zoom is useless). Check the specs...make sure it will work in cold weather. Get at least a 64mb storage card. I don't know why they continue to sell these things with 4, 8, or 12mb cards.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Any thing above 1 megapixel is good and again the higher you go the better, you could pick up a very god camera for $200. I dont really kow what brands are better or anything but youw ill be able to get a good camera for that much.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I just bought a cannon a60 for $229. It was one of consumer reports highest rated cameras. I really love it. Can record 30 sec vids as well. Nice quality compact camera that is easy to use at a good price. PS do not buy all the extras they will try to sell you!! Only if you plan to store 80 pics and 10 30 sec movies do you need the expanded memory also the rechargeable batteries are not necessary either IMO.[:D]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I am gonna carry a good SLR35MM with me this winter and just have them make a picture CD when I get it processed. To take action shots with a digicam takes a fairly sophisticated unit (read expensive) So I'm gonna use the good old 35MM.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I purchased a FugiFilm A303 last December for around $300 It is 3.1 megapixels and takes really good pictures. You can find them online now for about $220 or less. It is a nice, compact camera. I also have a lot of pictures I took with it online, you can see them here.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/sled_shed_0203.asp
Note: I have resized these pictures.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
It did me good to look at thet snowy white gold, NOT! That just made the fever worse.

·
Registered
892 Posts
We own a Kodak DX4900 which is a 4.0 megapixel camera, not a lot of features but it takes great outdoor shots.

Below are a few that we took in vegas last year and one from Michigan. One thing I like about it is that we took over 400 pictures before having to switch batteries, only on the second battery since we bought it over a year ago, so I do not deal with rechargables.

The one down side is that it is only a 2X optical zoom.

My parents have the same FujiFilm camera as Erick has and it takes great pics also.

These pics have been resized from 2448 X 1632.
/snofan/../images/users/baero/luxor_small.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/baero/building_small.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/baero/DCP_0246.JPG

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Hey bearo is that an MXZ 583? if so those are nice sleds, i rode one last year in vermont.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Nice pics Baero,
My 6 mp Nikon D1X stays at the studio for obvious reasons.
I take my Nikon FM2 35mm film camera on my sled.
Cold doesn't affect it, very sharp clear images
and best of all, a 35mm SLR, or Single Lens Reflex camera
has a 5 mp equivalent resolution.
There are lots of really good used SLR's being traded in on
digital cameras now, and they are selling cheap.
Film and processing has also never been cheaper,
with Walmart and Costco driving prices so low that
small high quality photo labs are disappearing fast.

Also, not all pixels are created equal, one manufacturers 3 mp
camera may have inherently better resolution than another
manufacturers 4 mp camera. So test them out before you buy.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by 88400
[br]Hey bearo is that an MXZ 583? if so those are nice sleds, i rode one last year in vermont.
Yes, there is a 97 and a 98 MXZ 583 in the pic, we had to rebuild the 98 last year after a melt down. The one in the middle is a '00 MXZ 600.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, thanks for all the great advice. Can't wait to go shopping. Finding one at Walmart for 50 bucks sounds great. I will use all of your guys info on selecting one. I'll let everyone know when and what I get. Might be a little while though. Someone suggested ebay. Any objections?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
500fasenough, ive used the FM2 in my photography class, good cameras. Takes very good clear images.
5 mp, wow that camera must have cost a small fortune?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I've been looking to purchase a digi cam too, and every review i've read for the canon A60 have been positive. Plus it's in my price range of ~200$

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by 88400
[br]5 mp, wow that camera must have cost a small fortune?
Actually, my D1X is 6 mp, it will make very nice 20" x 24" prints, just as nice as taken with a medium format camera (each negative is 2"x3").

Canon just came out with a 12 mp camera, what huge files it makes, my current system would crash if tried to open too many of those.

Nikon will be coming out with at least a 12 mp camera by the spring, so I will pick up one of those as well as a totally new computer loaded for bear.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by Flange
[br]Those are great pics Baero! Very clear.
Thanks, like I said it takes nice outdoor shots, but indoors it sometimes has problems with lighting. I can usually pull it out in Photoshop though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Jus' wanna say thanx to all,... great pics and advice,... have been in the market for a decent digi as well,... i think Baero's pics says it all.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i have a Kodak DC3400 2.0MP, takes good pictures for the web, and print pretty clear also if you have a high end printer. when we got it like 2 years ago it was around 400 bucks, so prolly about 100 now...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts