Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got finished putting together the 700 motor on my wildcat (new top end, stator and bottom end seals). It starts and runs 100% but the headlight is dim? The stator shows 12volts of output and the main wiring harness is new. I called the loacl dealer and they said that it could be the voltage regulator. So I went ahead and bought a new regulator have yet to install it but any ideas as to what it could be? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
848 Posts
That's probably the problem... let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I just got in from installing it and its a no go. It is no better, the stator is putting out 12volts. . . I connected a small battery to the main part of the wiring harness where the stator plugs in, headlight works great with no issues. But that is DC, what if anything converts the stator ac into dc?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
NorthWestRider said:
Well, I just got in from installing it and its a no go. It is no better, the stator is putting out 12volts. . . I connected a small battery to the main part of the wiring harness where the stator plugs in, headlight works great with no issues. But that is DC, what if anything converts the stator ac into dc?
If you have efi, a rectifier is used to convert to dc for the computer but i think the power going to the headlights is still ac.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm. . . I will take a look at the grounding issue tonight and report back as to what I find.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
is it just the headlight that is dim, I have had that before and it was the dimmer switch shorted.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
polarisorbust said:
is it just the headlight that is dim, I have had that before and it was the dimmer switch shorted.
It could be however when I connected power to the wiring harness directly from a battery the headlight was fine. I will take a look though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
HEY - NW/ Rider.... Have u ever had any dead spots upon acceleration with your 600SS ? If so - what did ya find ? My buddy has one, and the dealer in Tomahawk couldn't find the problem... ( Maybe that's why they don't sell/service Cats anymore )

·
Registered
848 Posts
catmanfever said:
HEY - NW/ Rider.... Have u ever had any dead spots upon acceleration with your 600SS ? If so - what did ya find ? My buddy has one, and the dealer in Tomahawk couldn't find the problem... ( Maybe that's why they don't sell/service Cats anymore )
Maybe PM him? And that's probably not the reason why he doesn't service cats anymore.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Sounds like a loose wire somewhere. We just fixed my '04 the brakelight flashed on it and the lights flickered a little bit. We started with the panel that screws into the hood and looked throughout every wire you can think of. We found a wire that runs under the motor that had popped loose, we plugged it back in and no problems. Just thought I would chime in and maybe give you some ideas on where to look.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found it, It turned out to be a dimmer switch with the brakes that was causeing it? When I applied the brakes the headlight would brighten up to normal. With a little finess were back up and running, just hit me as an exceptionally odd problem to have. Just finishing up the new heated hand grips and we should be ready to role. First time I have ever been able to say that with this sled. So excited this year. Thanks for the imput.

As for the 600 it pulls strong all the way throughout, the only thing that comes to mind is clutching and the EPV'S. Although I would think a dealer would look at those both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts