Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey! i was looking to upgrade my 1998 polaris xlt special to something that is a better ditch banger. i have narrowed my choices down to either a 2005-2006 polaris iqr 600 or a 2003 or newer skidoo mxz 600 or 2003 or newer skidoo mxz 600x. if anyone has any experience with these sleds that would be great! thanks!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
have not rode a mxz but i have rode a iq racer. the IQ takes a bit to get used to.
the seat on there was a ball slapper because when i stood up i thought i was not used to how easy it was to stand up and a couple bumps kind of gave me a good hit. I like how it kind of feels like a dirtbike because it is a easy sled to throw around. I would go with the Polaris but the SkiDoo does not sound to bad from magazine reviews

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
From what im hearing and seeing, the ski doo's seam to be more prone to frame cracks and breaks. Just the way they make them and that flying nun or whatever seams like a weakpoint. The IQ's are great sleds from what i hear. Good looking, great engines (600 VES), GREAT suspention, and good handling. Id say go with the polaris, but i dont really care for the doo's.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Your comparing two entirely different machines. The MXZx 600 consumer sled is a great sled, and will take a beating. Yes, it is more prone to frame damage than the IQr chassis. The IQr was built to get its ass handed to itself all day long, and come home in one piece. The Rev chassis is meant to take a decent beating all day, while still being comfortable on the trails and in the corners.

If I was you, I'd get a Rev. Coming off the sled you have, and going straight to an IQr is not necessary, and would be a huge pain in the ass just getting used to. I ride a Rev which is rider forward, which makes it a good stand up sled, but at the same time, the only thing keeping me away from IQ's is my ability to get used to them.

The Rev is your answer. Stay clear of anything with a beavertail ( the 03's with flappy tail ). The customization you can do to a Rev is endless, and a great sled which was why it stayed in production from late 02 to early 09.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
sledcrusher said:
Your comparing two entirely different machines. The MXZx 600 consumer sled is a great sled, and will take a beating. Yes, it is more prone to frame damage than the IQr chassis. The IQr was built to get its ass handed to itself all day long, and come home in one piece. The Rev chassis is meant to take a decent beating all day, while still being comfortable on the trails and in the corners.

If I was you, I'd get a Rev. Coming off the sled you have, and going straight to an IQr is not necessary, and would be a huge pain in the ass just getting used to. I ride a Rev which is rider forward, which makes it a good stand up sled, but at the same time, the only thing keeping me away from IQ's is my ability to get used to them.

The Rev is your answer. Stay clear of anything with a beavertail ( the 03's with flappy tail ). [highlight=red]The customization you can do to a Rev is endless,[/highlight=red] and a great sled which was why it stayed in production from late 02 to early 09.
I don't think anyone else sprays their sled with krylon fusion and calls it customization.[thumb]

But I would go with the IQr. the chassis is much stronger than the rev. It is alos more comfortable. IMO

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sledcrusher said:

The Rev is your answer. Stay clear of anything with a beavertail ( the 03's with flappy tail ). The customization you can do to a Rev is endless, and a great sled which was why it stayed in production from late 02 to early 09.
Why is the rev chassis not as strong as the IQR chassis? is the 440 rev race chassis close to as strong as the IQR?

can someone put up a picture of what a nun is and why they make the rev chassis weaker...

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Polaris_Special said:
sledcrusher said:

Why is the rev chassis not as strong as the IQR chassis? is the 440 rev race chassis close to as strong as the IQR?

can someone put up a picture of what a nun is and why they make the rev chassis weaker...
The nun in the rev chassis is a crash part, when you crash it breaks so you don't tweak the bulkead. Unfortunately sometimes it fails too easily and is not easy to replace. The IQr chassis is built to take any punishment and not break, you can shear one of the a-arms in half by hitting a tree and the bulkhead will still be straight on an IQr.

And as usual, don't listen to "sledcrusher" especially when coming off an older Polaris snowmobile, the rev chassis is a lot harder to get used to. I went from a GenII RMK to an IQr and adjusted very easily, the IQr was more comfortable than the GenII actually.

But make sure you know what you're looking for, Polaris IQr's only came with 440 engines from 05-07. The IQr 600's of those MY's are conversions that someone did.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
firecatF5 said:
sledcrusher said:

The Rev is your answer. Stay clear of anything with a beavertail ( the 03's with flappy tail ). [highlight=red]The customization you can do to a Rev is endless,[/highlight=red] and a great sled which was why it stayed in production from late 02 to early 09.
I don't think anyone else sprays their sled with krylon fusion and calls it customization.[thumb]

But I would go with the IQr. the chassis is much stronger than the rev. It is alos more comfortable. IMO
Are you saying that the Rev is not extremely customizable? My panels arent painted either. Actually, none of my sled has rattle can paint on it.

Another thing about the Rev is when something does break, parts are out there, and are decently cheap.

If you end up getting an IQ, heres a page you should look at:
http://akracing.com/buying_a_used_iq_s.htm

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
^Dang, very imformative....who's writing is that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts