Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to sync my carbs on that 08 550 lx after i clean them? I hope i did not screw anything up running it that 5 minutes. Never seen that much smoke come out after it started and ran for a total of 5 minutes. Thanks again guys. The advice is really appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Out of sync carbs shouldn't cause smoking..Was the engine fogged for the summer? My sled smokes like crazy the first time i run it every year until the fogging oil burns off. Also if you ran it in this warm weather it may smoke more because it's running rich

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spud_da_stud88 said:
Out of sync carbs shouldn't cause smoking..Was the engine fogged for the summer? My sled smokes like crazy the first time i run it every year until the fogging oil burns off. Also if you ran it in this warm weather it may smoke more because it's running rich
Well it was 50 out so not to warm and i didn't fog it so i think it was just burning oil out of the carbs from the last run.

·
Registered
634 Posts
well remember 50 deg. if pritty warm for a sled. thats prolly were all your smoke came from

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
polarisguy23 said:
well remember 50 deg. if pritty warm for a sled. thats prolly were all your smoke came from
yeah but it wouldn't run well at all. Thinking the carbs are gunked up Now she won't start. So im gonna clean them and was wondering if they need to by synced after that.

·
Registered
634 Posts
its always good to sync the carbs. it never hurts to sync them just to make sure. And make sure the oil pump is synced also.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I just took carb apart on my old Citation and cleaned it. I used a carborator cleaning dip by Yamaha. It worked great... Mixed 1:pART cleaner -to- 2:pARTS water. I let it soak about 15-20 minuites and then used a couple brushes to get places where it was really nasty like in the bottom of the float bowl.
Any cycle shop should have that YAMAHA dip.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
I just took carb apart on my old Citation and cleaned it. I used a carborator cleaning dip by Yamaha. It worked great... Mixed 1:pART cleaner -to- 2:pARTS water. I let it soak about 15-20 minuites and then used a couple brushes to get places where it was really nasty like in the bottom of the float bowl.
+1 Also, if you ever find an old bottle of the YAMAHA carb cleaner, get it. It is a lot better but because of the environmentalist[2guns] people the had to change the formula, the old stuff would clean out cement in the jets if you need it to, best stuff ever made.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
TRICKPaint said:
+1 Also, if you ever find an old bottle of the YAMAHA carb cleaner, get it. It is a lot better but because of the environmentalist[2guns] people the had to change the formula, the old stuff would clean out cement in the jets if you need it to, best stuff ever made.
Yup, I got the good stuff. It was in a black quart size black plastic bottle with a blue label on it. Looks like an oil container.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Any time I take my carbs apart I ALWAYS re-sync, if nothing eles it will give you that false sense of security, or one less thing to think about when trouble shooting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When cleaning carbs make sure what you are using doesn't eat rubber, I just had a valuble lesson. Took carbs off and neighbor gave me a 5 gallon bucket of cleaner, took the bowls off and tossed them in for the night. Went out the next morning to find all the rubber hoses vanished so my cleaning has gone to a complete rebuild of all 3 of them. yipppeeee I love it when I make more work for myself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Loopy said:
When cleaning carbs make sure what you are using doesn't eat rubber, I just had a valuble lesson. Took carbs off and neighbor gave me a 5 gallon bucket of cleaner, took the bowls off and tossed them in for the night. Went out the next morning to find all the rubber hoses vanished so my cleaning has gone to a complete rebuild of all 3 of them. yipppeeee I love it when I make more work for myself.
ouch yeah im just using gumout thanks again for all the help and advice guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts