Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do reeds do and what kind of maintainance to they need? Do they wear out and what happens, how can you tell and how long do they last?

Thanks,

·
Registered
86 Posts
when you remove them, you can spray them off and wipe them down a lil bit i clean mine every once in a while just so i know that they are in good shape

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Originally posted by ludvic
[br]What do reeds do
They are valves on the intake side of the motor. Basically it's a petal (I do believe stock on polaris is 8 petals per cylinder) on a cage. When the piston goes up and the fuel/air mix from the carbs is being sucked into the crankcase, the reed petals are forced open and the fuel/air passes through them, when the piston goes down causing back-pressure towards the carbs, the reeds snap shut, preventing any fuel/air from being lost back into the carbs.

[br]what kind of maintainance to they need
Take them out and check the seal around where the petals meet the cage part, if they leak, that's bad. Also check the petals for cracks as over time, they most likely will wear out and break.

I had to change the reeds on my '98 XCR 440 SP after about 3000 miles. I never had to change them on my Pro X and I sold it at 3500 miles and my Fusion's look fine after 2800 miles.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks P-Man,

I just picked up a 2001 XC800SP with 1400 miles and I'm going over it. This is something new to me so I have a new learning curve to go through.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
BigFordMan, I have never heard of someone spraying them down and wiping them off. What do you use to spray them down?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
hey ludvic did you pick up the 800 on sf>?? i saw one with there and u had been asking about 121-136 and it had that option. if so nice find

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
[br]Thanks P-Man,

I just picked up a 2001 XC800SP with 1400 miles and I'm going over it. This is something new to me so I have a new learning curve to go through.

Regards,
Congrats on the purchase!

That's in the Edge chassis... Correct? Does the engine have VES?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks P-Man, its a pre VES engine but it is an edge chassie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts