Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think we could use some sub-forums inside the Polaris brand forum? It's by far the most busy "brand forum" on the site. If so, what do you think it could use?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
You could maybe split it up by size , model, or chassis. I know there are a lot of us XCR 440 guys on here. It would make things a little more oranized. Just an Idea, not really sure what the best way to split it up would be.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i wouldnt break it down too far. other sites have done that and some forums get no responses. i personally like to read all of them cause listening to guys gripe about their new sleds they paid tons of money for makes me feel better working on my good old wedges that are paid in full.
maybe an old wedge sub forum or something along the lines of pre 2000.

·
Registered
111 Posts
that must mean POLARIS RULES!!!! maybe by chassis at the most, or twins and triples, but like bigwedgies i like reading all of them, but some get moved down the list too fast before the right person can read them. wedges and triples rule!!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
There's some others that I visit and it's a pain if there's too many. I do however think that maybe breaking the classifieds down to brands might not be a bad idea.

If you do decide to, I think it should be broken down to just the Chassis style, like what BigWedgies said. Also, doing a breakdown by model isn't right - like a 1998 XCR 440 shouldn't be in with a 2002 XCR 800. But the problem is the XCR went through I think 3 different chassis'. So maybe that isn't the way to go. Bad example.

Maybe a sub-section like the Classifieds? "Body work/etc" and "engine" and so one?

Just tossing some ideas out.

Bryan

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Leave it alone, no need to mess with it.

We don't need the CF that hcs has.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
As mentioned, even though it would clean it up quite a bit the more sub-forums the less "traffic" overall. Many problems are broad enough that a wide range of makes and models are similar. I would bet the majority of people look at the sections that their sled would fit in and skip over the others, so it will lead to many unanswered and "misinformed" answers for the person requesting info.

It does get quite cluttered, which also leads to the above, so perhaps a split in two, as bigwedgies suggested. That would organize it and leave the sub-forums broad enough for responses.

See how that goes for awhile and monitor the effects. After awhile maybe another split wouldn't have the negative effect I am thinking it could.

If you/others really think it is really necessary then split it up. I suppose it could always be deleted if need be. I've just noticed on other forums (not just sled forums) where too many sub-forums actually add more clutter.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
you know what, after reading everyone elses replies, i think were pretty much all on the same page, and actually i just read this in a thread
IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT
its working, lets give it this season and maybe rediscuss it at the end of the season.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Originally posted by bigwedgies
[br]you know what, after reading everyone elses replies, i think were pretty much all on the same page, and actually i just read this in a thread
IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT
its working, lets give it this season and maybe rediscuss it at the end of the season.
after thinking about it, I think I am on the same page as everyone else. It works fine the way it is.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I think he's looking more toward the future. Trying to fix a problem we're likely to have pretty soon. During the day, posts start at the top and bounce around for a while. After 4pm, you post something and it could be on the second page in 5 minutes- enough time for a "pro" to read a post, and respond. And now little Bobby with his broken muffler bearings doesn't get help. I think we're all felxible Erick - give it a try. It's not like you can't change it back.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Wedge's vs Other, wedges dominated Polaris's line for what, 14 years, a long long time!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would say at most like wedges vs. 99 and up... but like everyone else stated I thinks its better in one big group then more people read it that might not take the time to go through all the sub forums... just my $.02

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think it might be a good idea to split up us xlt styles and the new fusions styles...like said above...It would really help me in my searches for sure!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
by engine not size but just engines anything pertaining to a polaris engine and then suspension performance something like that i think would be best just my $0.02

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm new to these forums, but the Polaris section is about the only one I read, it does seem to move fairly quickly. Is there any chance that a stickied FAQ would help reduce clutter?

For example which models fall under which generation, links to discussions which have already taken place and are full of good info, etc.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i might be a nice feature but will it slow down or make your server work harder or more work for you? its working fine now if it will cause problems?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I vote for no sub-forums. Even if I am not on here for a few days, I only have to look through a couple, maybe 3, pages to get back to where I was.

I do vote for more specific topic titles, though.

Example of a poor title: "98 XC 700".

Example of a good title: "98 XC 700 Chaincase"

It makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
i think the site is good to go the way it is but i agree with jd on the title issue

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
the problem with that is we set the topic, how are they gonna regulate that.
im still a firm believer, leave it for now, or OR break it into about 2 and see what happens, maybe itll work, an maybe well then decide try breaking it into 3. or well say go back.
i change my mind on the dont fix it if it aint broken, lets just start changin stuff, if we break it, well fix it, maybe itll run like a raped ape!
sounds like a plan to me, how do you know till you try?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts