Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I carry one all the time. If the other sledheads and I decide to explore areas we have not been, the GPS's can come in quite handy.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I never go ridding without it. I also take an extra set of batts just in case.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm pretty good with directions.... and we live in a fairly flat area. Never tried it but i think it would be a pretty cool toy.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Isanti Sam. I'm not sure, I have never heard of anything like that. But it would not be a bad idea... I sometimes use a GPS when we go on our longer day trips, but not for just goofing around near town.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Usually friend brings his. Note: cold weather decreases battery life, don't be cheap if you plan on needing it!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Isanti Sam, I don't know what kind of snowmachine maps your taliking about but you can download road and topo maps for some of the models. The topo maps a very handy because the gps may say that your only 5 miles from where you want to go but it wont show that 1000 foot ravine that you have to find a way around unless you have a gps thats has the maps.

j-2-800 your right about the batterys. Thats why I always have a extra set with me. The screen also does not work very well when it drops below 15. There are a few places that make mounts just for snowmachines that are heated and most of them also sell the wireing to run the gps off your machine. I have a number for a good company if anyone is looking for one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been using a Garmin GPS in the backcountry for the last 7 years. I stared with a GPS40 and upgraded to the GPS12 last season. I first started to use it as a tool to check my location then I started to add a few waypoints and create routes and now when backcountry riding I use it 100% of the time mounted on the dash and plugged in to a 12v plug on my machine with a fresh set of batteries for backup. I am not a big believer in the map models as detail is not fine when in high country with challenging topography. I've road the high country here without it for years prior to getting one, but since I started using it and now 75% of our regular group have got one all same models, I,ve done a little training, the riding in unpleasant weather as become a lot less stressfull. By the way we have had 2.6 meters of snow at sea level since November the backcountry is going to be great this spring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just bought a Garmin E-map GPS off eBay. Expect to have it on Monday. Sort of an entry-level machine, but only $149. Seems like it would be a handy thing. I have had a Magellan Meridian for about a year, and still have not figured out how to easily use it. Everyone I have talked to who has owned a Magellan has told me the same thing - not user friendly at all. Everyone loves Garmin.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Garmin E series of GPS is a nice compact unit but if anyone is considering mounting a GPS on the dash I recommend a bigger case such as the GPS 12 and related models 12xl, 12map, etc. The buttons on this seies are front mounted and easy to push with a gloved hand which can be important. I taught a friend how to use a Magellan and I found it considering I had a good knowledge of GPS hard to work with.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Garmin is the only way to go. I bought the 45 and a friend got a Magellan a few days later. After using up a set of batts and still not understanding the unit very well he took it back and got the same one I had.

Garmin also has a new one out that is also a 2 way radio, it will even give you the location of other units.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just bought myself one. I bought a Magellan Marine model since I plan on using it on my boat also. It's waterproof, it floats and I have a 128mb memory card in it. I also bought the topo mapping for it. I'm going to the UP in a week and I'll see how it works.[:p]

·
Registered
314 Posts
Looking at getting one for a toy.
I always wondered when people talk about radar runs they always like the gps readings better. How is this achieved?? Where I ride I never see radar runs setup, so I have to guess with my speedo all the time.... :/

·
Registered
328 Posts
Isanti Sam, just so you know, yes, in some areas you can get snowmobile trail maps for a GPS, appearantly parts of alberta and ontario are starting to have them, but its up to individual clubs to make them. Also, my uncle got one last year and with it came a computer programs that has a topo map for all of BC and sub topo maps for individual areas, that has all roads including foresty roads.

j-2-800, if your having a problem with battery life, carry it as close to your body as you can, that way your body keeps it warm and the batteries last longer, you also avoid problems with your screen. Just my two cents.
Scott

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
I have a garmin Emap and it works pretty good for me, The most handy thing is the speed, it is right on, might as well me radar, it is right on with my speedos in my vehicles. i like, but the garmin mount isn't cheap. I got that too. Have fun.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Originally posted by arcticcatmatt
[br]I have a garmin Emap and it works pretty good for me, The most handy thing is the speed, it is right on, might as well me radar, it is right on with my speedos in my vehicles. i like, but the garmin mount isn't cheap. I got that too. Have fun.
I wont go without mine. For more info look up www.garmin.com or megellin.com....e-bay has them and accessories for a perty good price..[8D]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts