Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use your tether?

I will be using mine, but, I need to replace the string.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Watch slednecks 8 and that should pursuade you enough. Im sure Chris Burandt would agree.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I don't have a tether, and I probably wouldnt use it either.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Ya I do have one but usually do not wear it. I should be wearing it but dont ever really remember to. Its just kind of there. After my few falling off incidences last year, I think I should use it.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
How would it make a difference after you fall off? Not like shuting down the sled will make it stop faster. Then you also have the pain in the ass of restarting it AND trying to get in unstuck (atleast where I live). And I heard slednecks 8 sucked anyways. Tethers are usless in my mind....

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
i use mine.. its not really that much of a pain.. plus the one time the throttle does stick.. you'll be sorry you never took the three extra seconds to pop it back on the sled.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Originally posted by mackinsaw
[br]How would it make a difference after you fall off? Not like shuting down the sled will make it stop faster. Then you also have the pain in the ass of restarting it AND trying to get in unstuck (atleast where I live). And I heard slednecks 8 sucked anyways. Tethers are usless in my mind....
if your throttle sticks! your sleds going for awhile.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
[br]How would it make a difference after you fall off? Not like shuting down the sled will make it stop faster. Then you also have the pain in the ass of restarting it AND trying to get in unstuck (atleast where I live). And I heard slednecks 8 sucked anyways. Tethers are usless in my mind....
Ok take off across a flat area and get going about 50. Just let off the throttle and coast to a stop. Next do the same thing but instead of letting off the throttle, keep on the throttle while hitting the kill switch or shutting off the key. As soon as cutting off electrical power let off the throttle. I guarantee you it will stop faster. I think having to restart my sled would be worth not having it go an extra how many feet and possibly hitting something.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I don't ride without it attatched to me. After falling off and launching my sled WOT into the birch trees a couple years ago I learned. If I would have had a thether then, the sled would have killed before it left the trail.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Originally posted by edgex600rider
[br]
Ok take off across a flat area and get going about 50. Just let off the throttle and coast to a stop. Next do the same thing but instead of letting off the throttle, keep on the throttle while hitting the kill switch or shutting off the key. As soon as cutting off electrical power let off the throttle. I guarantee you it will stop faster. I think having to restart my sled would be worth not having it go an extra how many feet and possibly hitting something.

How? In powder it won't make a difference anyways. Even on hardpack how would the electrical system not being on have anything to do with the sled drifting? Theres still the same resistence.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have the plug but am missing the tether itself. I should really pick one up, since they are really cheap. I wanted too but never got around to it. Thanks for reminding me.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I use one. I have a race throttle block. When it sticks, the sled goes. If you haven't had a throttle stick on you, you haven't been sledding long enough. Be smart, if you ride hard, wear a tether. It helps when you least suspect it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
i have one but i very seldomly use it i should though last year i fell of one of are sleds and the throttle stuck and went threw a barbwire fence a horse fence and hit a tree

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
[br]Tethers are usless in my mind....
When I ran my sled into a tree a few years ago, of course I went sailing over the bars. My leg smashed the throttle block and it pinned it wide open. The sled bounced back off the tree and since it was pinned wide open, it kept going. Fortunately, since the front suspension was damaged, all it did was spin around in circles. I was rolling around on the ground and I could hear it running full throttle, I was afraid it was going to run me over while I was laying there. Had there been a tether on it, it would have stopped running. I was really afraid it would blow the engine.

So, tell me again how tethers are useless?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
[br]
Originally posted by edgex600rider
[br]

How? In powder it won't make a difference anyways. Even on hardpack how would the electrical system not being on have anything to do with the sled drifting? Theres still the same resistence.
Think about it for more than 2 seconds. When you just let off the throttle the ignition is still working and the engine is still running allowing revs to fall slowly. If you stop the electrical to the engine it is no longer firing and there is no power in the engine besides the mass that is already moving. Therefore slowing the engine down much quicker. In powder it may not make a difference, I haven't tried it in lots of snow, but it does work on hardpack or low snow conditions. And as already stated, if you get a wide open throttle stuck, and don't have time to control it before you fall off or need to bail, you will have a sled that will have more problems than just a stuck throttle.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
^When I'm riding my trails or powder I get off all the time to pick stuff up like fallen sticks and stuff and that would be such a pain in the ass unclipping and reclipping.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts