Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved this email from a guy saying he is interested in buying my sled, i would appreciate an feedback on it this sounds legit or not.Here is what he said...

How are you doing? Thanks for the email, I will appreciate some recent pics. I'm
willing to pay $3,850 (without shipping). Right now i'm out of town on business
and won't be able to see the Snowmobile. You don't have worry about shipping,
i'll handle that. Pls consider it sold to me and pls don't entertain other
offers. This will be similar to a local pickup.

As for payment, I will instruct my accountant to issue a check or Money order of
$7,985 as i am not in the US at the moment. Once you receive the check i will like
you to deduct your payment of $3,850 and then you will have to wire the excess
amount to my shipper via MoneyGram transfer the moment you receive the cashier's
check so that he can immediately come for collection of the Snowmobile.

Pls let me know if i can trust you in wiring the excess funds to my shipper the same
day you receive the check, as you know it is not easy to trust people nowadays.

Note: my shipper will be picking up some other Automobiles and Heavy Machineries for
me in the US, including the Snowmobile i am buying from you, this is why his
shipping fee is that much. This way you will be free from shipping hastles and
stress, as my shipper will come over to your place for collection and shipping of
the Snowmobile once he receives the funds.

And if you are okay with this way of payment, pls mail me your full details (Name,
address and phone numbers) so that my client can send you the payment.
Hope to hear from you soon.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Pure bs, a lady here got nailed with 1.2 mil(she was a banker), SHe has to pay the amount back. Don't fall for it.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
yup its a scam and my grandfather got that same thing for his car

·
Registered
214 Posts
i was gettin those 3 times a week when i had my 04 pro xr 440 advertised all over the net... they send you a bogus money order yoru bank cashes it you send them the rest via wire and then the money order bounces all over your account and you have to repay the whole amount.. if ya dint figure out how it worked yet therre ya go...

·
Registered
174 Posts
This scam is sooo old....

A guy I knew fell for it a few years back...of course he didn't ask me about it... he's one of those "I know everything" people. He got lucky and only had to pay the fee to the bank for cashing a bad cashiers check and overdraft fees.

He got much the same email for his car. The people sent him a Cashiers check and he cashed it and removed the difference to give to them. When the "shipper" was supposed to come and pick up the car the guy wasn't there, something came up at the last minute and his car was safely locked in the garage.

The next day he tried to get ahold of the original guy and his emails were bounced back. So he went into put the money back into his account and was told his account was negative and he had been charged for the overdraft fees plus the fee for cashing a bad Check.

Needless to say he was lucky, he only ended up spending about $50 in charges, but he got to keep his car.

Another guy in Georgia I know almost got nailed by this for some perfromance parts. He talked to me about it and then had some fun with the guy before telling him to screw off.

They will try this on anything, cars, parts, your old lady...

String him along and have some fun. Ya know, ask him where he snowmobiles, what he's had in the past, it's fun screwing with them and then dumping them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody for your input, I thought this sounded like a bunch of bull**** but I just wanted to be sure and I new there were probably people who have had this happen to them before...right now i'm just leading him on a little more then I plan on telling him to take a flying leap[:D] thanks agian guys

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
My son tried selling his sled from the net also, I believe a few were from this site, and they were scams. I told him that, and he got all bent out of shape at me for it. He was so mad at me, "for knowing everything", that it was the beginning of the demise of his deciding to move to his mothers, so for the scam guys, I CAN NOT WAIT TO GET YOU IN MY SIGHTS, ......... ask questions later. Or as Charlie Daniels puts it, Big tall tree, short piece of rope.

·
Registered
502 Posts
got a similar email about a year ago on a pc i had for sale on eBay.. had a little fun with the douche bag, then told him to F-Off... lol

·
Registered
586 Posts
my buddies parents had something like that happen ... TOTAL SCAM ... these ppl from california said their broker found my buddies boat and it was what they were looking for ... they said they would send a check for the asking price plus $8,000 to have it shipped out to california ... his parents were supposed to deposit the whole check and then write a personal check from their account for the $8000 .... the check the cali ppl sent wasn't even a real check ... they were just looking for the $8000 personal check and then gonna run .

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
scamSCAMscam a woman that works for my dad had that happen to her, they said she won like 5000grand, and they gave her a check for 10 and all she had to do was give them 5 back. HA. ya watch out thats for sure scam

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
"A fool and their money will soon part"

One more "If it sounds too Damn good to be true" well you know the rest

I don't know about you people...But I would be embarassed to admit to anyone I was that stupid. Are we supposed to feel sorry for them...NOT

·
Registered
840 Posts
I had that similiar thing happened to me back in the summer time when I was trying to sell my John Deere attachments stuff. Some guy emailed me a asking price and to find out how I can go about shipping it out of states. That threw a "red" flag and emailed the guy that I dont sell stuff out of USA because I dont know whats involved and whats not. I dont think the guy was too happy but tough!! Just watch out for scammers and Im glad we do have a good of group guys on snowmobile fanatic who are decent and honest and the biggest thing is to look out for each other. You guys are cool in my book. WL.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with white lightning...I really appreciate all of the input you guys have given me. When I recieved the email it sounded like a bunch of crap to me and I just wanted to make sure. So I told the guy to f-off:) Thanks again guys!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Wasn't there a thread on this topic not too long ago? Something about ebay? Sounds like the same one...

·
Registered
231 Posts
I put up a WTB on sledtrader and someone emailed me wanting to buy the sled that I was looking for. that was the dumbest scam artist I have heard of.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes SCAM!! I had this happin to me over my pedal bike. Said he was in Australia and hand to have it, it was going to cost over $5000 total. Got it checked out, Scam dont fall for it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
SCAM!!! Happened here too! Tried to sell a dirt bike online and had MANY of these happen to me!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I had the same scam a few years ago. The guy even told me that he had a cousin in the cities that would pick up the parts. I emailed him back and told him the parts would be sitting in my front yard and if his cousin could get them before I blew his head off he could have the parts. Never got a response back. Riley

1 - 20 of 24 Posts