Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put new slides on the XLT with the Xtra-12 and I set the track tension to what was in the manual - 1/2 inch of sag with no weight. When my dad was out riding it he said that when he let off the throttle the track would almost lock up and really slow the sled down. It also made some sort of whining noise. When we got back I loosened the track - now I have about 1 1/4 inches of sag. I also noticed that over half the new slides were gone. Granted I wasn't riding in the best conditions but not enough to warrant that much gone.
This past weekend we took the sleds back out and he said it was much better, no whining and it coasted to a stop.
My question is - how many of you guys adjust to the proper tension and eat hyfax quickly? Or could there be something else wrong? I had the skid out and adjusted/lubed everything. Rails are straight and bearings are all good.

Bryan

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well on my wifes Xtra 12 we have about 1200 miles on them and they done even look wore. I run the track as loose as possible with out racheting. Which equals about 3-4 inches of sag. I also run the white ones, If that makes a difference? IDK

·
Registered
814 Posts
I haven't noticed that my Xtra-12 is too hard on the slides- usually get several seasons out of a set. Is your track alignment good? What about the condition of the track clips- one bad one can chew up slides pretty quick.
As far as track tension, I run about 1" of sag with the track off the ground.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by polaris1
[br]Well on my wifes Xtra 12 we have about 1200 miles on them and they done even look wore. I run the track as loose as possible with out racheting. Which equals about 3-4 inches of sag. I also run the white ones, If that makes a difference? IDK
What! 3-4"! I had 4" of sag on my track with extroverted drivers and it still ratcheted! I run mine about 2-2.5" of sag now.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After I loosened it there was no more wear, which is good. I heard that the 12's like the track tight. Seems like you guys are running them really loose so I feel more comfortable with the 1.5 inches of sag. Which is my main intention in posting this.
I put plain old black ones on. I hear they last just about as long as the white ones.
My alignment is fine, I'm anal about that. I'll double check the clips, although my problem going away leads me to believe they're fine.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
You said that you feel more comfortable with it that tight. Can I ask you why??? The worse thing that can happen when things are loose within reason is the track ratcheting. Plus the looser you can get it the less drag there is gonna be there for more free horsepower. If you read much about mountain riding at all a lot of people are going to the anti ratchet drivers so that the track can be run even looser then before.

JM2,
DW

·
Registered
197 Posts
Can't remember how loose I ran my xtra 12 but definitely as loose as you can without it ratcheting.....otherwise it was tough on sliders.

I also remember reading an article that said after installing new sliders to 'break' them in.....ride for a few miles then stop and let the sliders cool off completely then ride a few miles - repeating a couple of times. This is to help 'harden' them.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by DAN_8485
[br]You said that you feel more comfortable with it that tight. Can I ask you why??? The worse thing that can happen when things are loose within reason is the track ratcheting. Plus the looser you can get it the less drag there is gonna be there for more free horsepower. If you read much about mountain riding at all a lot of people are going to the anti ratchet drivers so that the track can be run even looser then before.

JM2,
DW
You're right - I never really though of it that way. What's the worst that can happen? How about nothing really. Maybe if it's really tight the back end would get squirly and hit the sides of the tunnel. All this of course is without studs, correct? With that much play in it don't you chance sticking a stud through the from exchanger? Only reason I ask is because I think I'm going to put 72 or 96 down the middle on it since I got rear ended by it on my XCR this past weekend due to an icy hill and less than perfect reaction time.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
mine will slow itself down very quickly.good thread, I thought something was wrong with suspension

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have two 97 XLT LTD's and both are easy on hyfax. I keep the track about 1.5" sag in the middle. Have over 5000 mi on a single set of hyfax. 3 to 4 inches seems like a lot of sag to me, although it seems to work for some others.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
i just put new Hi faxes on my xtra 12. the only reason i did it cuz i put new real springs in. I bought the sled with the ones in it b4 so i dont know how many miles were on them. But i put on about 800-1k miles last season and they looked fine.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Mine seems to eat hifax until they are about 1/3 to 1/2 gone. Then it seems to wear forever. I run about 1.5 inches of sag in the track.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I ran as much sag as I could without ratcheting. I had studs too. Never had an issue with wear. Often times had issues with getting too hot and sticking. When it's really cold it's hard to find lubrication.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I still have the x-12 on my xcr-800. I have 250 miles on it right now. I am using the HyperFax, and keeping an eye on wear. I haven't seen any wear on them yet, but I too am running about 1.5" to 2" of free hanging sag of track. I have studs in the track and was initially worried about them hitting the tunnel, but they haven't so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts