Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 1999 Indy 500, with composite skis (from Polaris, they are the blue ones) and it seems like when I am riding on packed trails that my skis get pulled into the ruts and I am always bouncing around in the ruts. I talked with a guy at a dealership and he said that I could put double runners on it and that would solve the problem. However, they require 4 holes in the ski and he said the compostite ski only has 3 holes for the bolts. He said I would have to drill another hole in the ski to accomadate the runners, is this hard and OK to do? My sled is in Maine and I live in Boston, so I can't remember how many holes the skis have. I just got my sled last year and I am not sure what size carbides I have on it, maybe 6'', it has 96 studs. I took the sled in last year for a pre-season check and the shop said the carbides were OK and didn't need replacing. I only out 200 miles on it last year too, soft miles. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to stop me from constantly getting pulled into other sleds' ruts from their runners?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My Skidoo has a wide v-shaped thing at the front of the skis (called easysteers maybe?) that prevent darting, which is what it sounds like your sled is doing. Perhaps Polaris has something similar?

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Only having to drill one more hole in your skis woun't hurt it at all. Woody's also has a new runner out called the "Doolie". Its one rod that has a plate welded to it with two seperate carbide runners on it. Unfortunately I hear they're kind of expensive.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I don't know if it would work very good to just bolt on another runner, I think you would have major stearing problems if you didn't get them on just right. The skis are meant for a single one. Maybe look for a new type of runner like the woody's or maybe even some new ski's. I know I have the regular polaris composite ski's and I don't seem to have any trouble.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Erick
I have the regular Polaris composite skis, so I guess I don't understand why I am having the problem. The double runners are manufactured by a carbide company, so it isn't like I am just added another single runner to the exisiting one, this double runners are actually sold, for 80-90 dollars. Do you think I should adjust the pre-load? Put more weight on the front skis, so it digs in better? Or should I get some Woody's? If I do get Woody's, what should I get? I am fairly new to working on my own sled, I have been around them all my life but never had to work on them. I have 96 studs and do mostly trail riding, what would be the best carbides for my 99 Indy Polaris in everyone's opinion? I am about 150 pounds if that matters at all. Most of the trails around my area are groomed and well packed. Suggestions on the best carbides for this sled to help my problem?
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
With the studs you have, and it being a 500, I'd go with 6" of carbide. Thats what I have on my sled and it handles great. Yeah, you might want to mess around with the preload on the front shocks. Also check out where the limiter straps in your rear suspention are set at. They're adjustable and can either apply more or less pressure to your skis. There are something like 5 holes. If the strap is let all the way out, you're going to have less pressure on your skis, and more on your track. If its all the way in, the situation is reversed. Hope this helps.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have to agree with Tfin70, the WOODY'S DOOLIES sound like a good idea, I've also heard that there are kits made so you can bolt on the new DOODOO skies, or you can buy tri-keel skies made by SLP www.startinglineproduct.com.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm certainly no expert, but switching to double runners sounds like overkill to me. I had assumed (silly me!) that Indy 500 was already running with carbides. I'd agree with Tfin70; 6" carbides with a picked track. It should make a big difference in the hard-pack, which is where you sound like you're having this problem.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ok, I reread Indy500's original post, and he IS running 6" carbides. Sorry, I'll try to pay more attention!

Jacqui.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you can possibly ignore my last 2 posts here, I'll try again! lol

Last winter I added preload to my front skis to see what would happen and my sled became very darty. Perhaps it needs to be backed off?

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Ok guys, Darting is caused by too much pressure on the ski's, you need to either increase spring tension on the front of the skid or else back off the spring pressure on the ski's themselves. I'd try this before i went and spent all that money on new carbides....especially woodys doolies which run $57 each or $114 for a pair for the polaris machines with composite (plastic) skis. Hope this helps a little.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had 95 indy 500 efi that I hopped up a bit and also added a new set of first generation style Polaris composite skis. In Alaska we hardly run on a trail system so we run our limiter straps all the way out. But when I installed the skis on the sled I messed up the toe adjustment on the sled. I had the toe set to far in and the machine would dart everywhere except were I wanted to go. I would check the toe on your sled before laying down the bucks for carbides. You want to make sure you are toed out about a 1/4 in max. When you check the toe tie a bungee cord across the ski tips to take out any of the slop in the steering then measure the distance between the carbides at the front and the rear. It is possible that the dealership did set the toe right from the start.

This is just one more thing to check before laying out the cash.

Thanks,
Nathan

Alaska The Great Land!!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you could try loosining your limiter straps, they will let off as much ski pressure as you need, your front shock springs will affect bottoming and cornering, body roll. the limiter straps are for ski pressure/track pressure.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by Indy500
[br]Erick
I have the regular Polaris composite skis, so I guess I don't understand why I am having the problem. The double runners are manufactured by a carbide company, so it isn't like I am just added another single runner to the exisiting one, this double runners are actually sold, for 80-90 dollars. Do you think I should adjust the pre-load? Put more weight on the front skis, so it digs in better? Or should I get some Woody's? If I do get Woody's, what should I get? I am fairly new to working on my own sled, I have been around them all my life but never had to work on them. I have 96 studs and do mostly trail riding, what would be the best carbides for my 99 Indy Polaris in everyone's opinion? I am about 150 pounds if that matters at all. Most of the trails around my area are groomed and well packed. Suggestions on the best carbides for this sled to help my problem?
Thanks again

the type you get depends on the rider, I have 4" woody dualies on my sled and put them on my wifes 500sc/xp 01 plastic. the dual runners keep you nice and str. the length is about how quick and tight you want to turn the shorter the quicker/ tighter

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you go, with double runners your skis will not dart but you will push in the corners you cant have the best of both worlds!!!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I use the dooly's from polaris ,best 100 dollar's ever spent ,differnce is polaris uses 5/16 host bar ,not 7/8th

·
Registered
396 Posts
if i were u, i would go with the simmons flexe skis. they are wider, with dual carbides. When cornering, the ski actually angles upward, so the outside runner is into the snow, while the other skis inside runner is in the snow. they are the perfect solution to darting. i had the same problem with my 01 xc sp 500. they are defiantely worth the money. goodluck

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
my buddies seem to like the woodies doolies but i'm not to big on drilling my skis up to make them fit...Most of the time if you have the limiter strap and spring tension ok your sled will be decent..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Indy 500, I put doolies on both of my machines. They have 4 bolts. 2002 classic had 4 holes in the ski even though the stock carbides only used 3. The 99xc had only 3 holes in the ski and it is no big deal to drill the extra hole for the bolt.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Before you add dual runners I would check the toe out on the skis and make sure it's at least 1/8" to 1/4". Also make sure that you have enough pre load on the skid front arm. or you may have to much pre load on the front susp.
Dual runners IMO are a bad compromise for darting problems. They generally can be corrected by getting the suspension dialed in for your weight and riding style.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts