Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been posting topics on what sled to buy for a while now but im finally down to the final two and there bolth yamadogs. I have no clue which one to get. Heres the story. The Sxr is a 600 triple with 5500 miles on it. It has bar risers, a can, a low cut windshield and a tear in the seat. The vmax xtc 700 has risers, a dynoport can, low windshield. So heres the thing, the vmax xtc has a repainted cowl but has the lower miles. He claimes it hasnt been crashed but you never know. Should i be worried about that? And the sxr has 5500 miles. Is that alot for one of those sleds? How long before i would have to rebuild the engine or the clutches, its all stock. If you guys could help me out tonight that would really be great. Thanks for your time, ~Sean~

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just make sure you really check it over good when looking at them, bring a compression tester. Make sure to check the clutch for cracks and the shocks for pitted shafts and other obvious things like worn tracks or a new one I saw "the track being installed backward" lol. From personal expirience I like the srx's. They sound mean and run great too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
basically any sled that has a can , and risers put on was ridden hard.. but if the price is right and the motor runs fine , suspension decent might be worth it how much does he want for each sled?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Vmax xtc is 1200 but i already negotiated so thats the lowest hel go and the sxr is 1300 havent negotiated yet. And the srx is 3 hours closer to my house. Are the sxr sleds fast?

·
Registered
509 Posts
My opinion I wouldnt go with Srx because for one I am agianst 3 cylinders they seem to have lots a problems their really fast but not that trustworthy from my opinion one my buddies had a articat triple it was crazy fast but man seemed like somthing was always wrong. So thats are just my thoughts hope it helps

·
Registered
308 Posts
Tripples are just like any other sled if they are maintained and well taken care of then they will be great sleds, i have had them and never had a problem. The srx 600 that I ride with is a very quick sled, the guy who owns it loves it. He also has a srx 700 that is also extremely fast.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
tripetrouble said:
basically any sled that has a can , and risers put on was ridden hard.. but if the price is right and the motor runs fine , suspension decent might be worth it how much does he want for each sled?
Exciterfan44 said:
My opinion I wouldnt go with Srx because for one I am agianst 3 cylinders they seem to have lots a problems their really fast but not that trustworthy from my opinion one my buddies had a articat triple it was crazy fast but man seemed like somthing was always wrong. So thats are just my thoughts hope it helps
Both very ignorant posts. [Disappointed]

I have a riser on my sled, I don't beat the piss out of it. In fact, I take very good care of my sled, just did all the pre-season maintenance and it's cared for during the season as well.

Triples are just like any other 2-stroke engine. They need to be cared for, and they are finicky. As long as it's properly cared for, they can last 7000-10000 miles without touching the engine. There are XLTs on this forum with 8-10k miles on them, and still running strong. From what I understand, Yammi triples are some of the best triples on the market.

If it were me, I'd be leaning toward the SXr. Couple seasons newer, better suspension setup, etc. Just make sure you check both over really well and do your homework.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ok both sleds are triples and those are probably the most reliable 2 stroke s yamaha has ever made and there practically the same xtc was the long travel sled before the sxr and the sxr is the more current long travel sled. I had a 600 triple and that had 7000 trouble free miles untill I sold it. So what I'm saying is either one is great just choose the one thats nicer.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Go with the 700...those old "red heads" are great motors. I know a guy that has one with 9k+ on his 700 with no problems. Easier to tune then his SRX...just my 2cents

·
Registered
377 Posts
He said sxr not srx there both red tops.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Don't get confused between sXr and sRx. There are lots of engine differences. The SRX will have exhaust valves and triple pipes.

OK, back to the question. Regardless of the SXR or XTC, don't worry about the engines. Yami triples are VERY reliable. Both sleds are basically the same, except for the suspension set ups. I think the XTC has more travel. The 700 has 112hp which is only 10% more than the 600.
Both are good sleds. Just check them over really well, hopefully you can test drive. And then pick the one that you like best.
Good luck [thumb]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well everyone ive settled on the xtc 700. So excited to ride it. Thanks for the help everyone i appreciate it. If anyone has any xtcs that have modds on it id love to see pics. Thanks alot and have a great season. Let it snow

·
Registered
29 Posts
Exciterfan44 said:
I have never had anny problems with my Forumla3 its got 7,000 miles on it. Im going to rebuild it next year.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good choice. Both are good sleds, but that 700 red headed triple is very sweet and lasts a long, long time. One of Yamaha's best engines and tons of upgrades if you ever want to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts