Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain exactly what this is, and what it does. I'm going to be ordering an 04' REV 800 HO (with RER) in the Adrenaline package. I get the two year warrenty, then I can choose one of the following:

DPM
a GPS unit
or $300 in clothing accessories, or parts

The DPM is an additional $300. Is it worth getting, or not?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am surprised to see this as an option it was standard this year on most H.O. models. DPM stands for digital performance management and is a computer aided system that adjusts carburetion for temperature and altitude change. I can't recommend if you get it or not, but it is on my 2003 renegade. What are they offering for a GPS.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My cousin has a 2003 Summit and recieved it on his sled. He likes it due to the fact that is always going out to Yellowstone to go mountain riding and it gets rid of the need to constantly rejet your carbs. He said it has saved him hours of time and frustaration. So if you are going to mountain ride or use it in different elevations then get it.

Polaris4LIFE[:D]

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i have it on both my 800's. what dpm does is lean your motor to compensate for air temp or elevation. it starts at a base setting and will lean from that. if your a tuner, i think the standard set up is the way to go...-but, just an opinion....

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I have heard though that the dpm is inconsitant though, when you change elevations alot that down in the flats it's kind of boggy(mountain riding). If your gonna due mostly trail riding were you can leave the same jets in, you might be better off getting the GPS to help you navigate those trails...just a thought.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Reneg600
[br]I am surprised to see this as an option it was standard this year on most H.O. models.
It comes standard with the X package but as a Spring Order only option with the Adrenaline package.

Originally posted by Reneg600
[br]What are they offering for a GPS.
Its a Garmin Rino 120 combined with a 2-way radio system.

Ok, I understand what DPM is now. Well I live and ride specificly in Maine. The elevations don't change as much as the temps do here. You might be riding in 30F one day, then 0F a few days latter. I've never bothered to rejet before. They just don't run as "crisp" when its warm out.

So I'm still not sure if its worth it or not. I suppose I could always get the TempaFlo from Holtzman Engineering, which does the same thing......plus its about half the price. Hmmmmmm.......

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Tflin,

Another xlt bites the dust, eh. Are you going to revive it, or is it off to the boneyard?

There are some smoking deals on used sleds around here, in snowless MN. There's a 2000 ZL700, 600mi, $3,500 in the local rag right now. I got to thinking, jeez, if I could get $2,500 for mine... Then further down, there's a '97 XLTsp, 650mi, for $2,100. So that makes mine worth about $1,500. Looks like I'll be riding mine till it gernads a piston or spits its crank.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pigboy,

No, I'm going to revive her....I've got to much time and money invested in it not to. It's going to be my summer project....going to take my time and tear it all the way down to the crank. Which I'll bring into a shop and have them check out for me. Then it will become my "better half's" sled. She doesn't ride hard or fast, so it should be great for her.

I'm buying a new one because I really want the factory warrenty. I'm tired of wrenching when I should be riding! Now watch......we won't get any damn snow in Maine next season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts