Snowmobile Fanatics banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm already thinking about next year and can't wait for the snowchecks to come out. The wifey is forwarned that I want a new sled next year and I've been looking around.
I'm curious how dragons are doing against other sleds? I know there are a few on this site so thought I'd ask.
I've always had polaris sleds but seriously thinking about switching to a cat. Yep that's right the mighty f7 has me thinking lol. I've looked at acouple 2005 f7s and I really likey. Anyone with a dragon raced an f7 yet?

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Don't base buying a sled only on a matter of if you can win a drag race or not. That's all I'm going to say.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by erick
[br]Don't base buying a sled only on a matter of if you can win a drag race or not. That's all I'm going to say.
lol I'm not. Curious more than anything. I'm pretty sure my sled next year will be the fst turbo.[}:)] I'm pretty curious how the dragon and f7 get along though. Right now the f7 may be 2nd on my want list, not 100% sure yet. I'm waiting to see what comes out for 08 to be sure, but leaning toward fst for now.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Dragon will beat the F7 in about a 1/4 run by 3 or 4 lenghts. I've seen them race many times over, always the same result.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow I thought they'd be closer than that.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Here is the F7 that got blown away also, fell free to PM him to confirm this.
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63948

·
Registered
87 Posts
Love my Dragon, sorry i cant provide the info you are after seeing as how mine is the long track variety. (RMK) Egronomics and handling rock! Plenty of power.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
The firecat is much more than a drag sled! It is one of the best handling sleds ever built and probably the best ditch banger ever put out! Also has decent deep snow capability with the snopro track!!! I havent ridden the dragon but im sure its a great sled as well!!

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
My Dragon RMK straight rips.
Handeling is simply awsome.
I do know that I can walk away from an M-8 with no problem.
Next year's Dragon is an 800 too, so it should do even better than mine.
FST is good, I can see that being set up to absolutely rock as well.
I know the F-7 is fast, F-8 should be even faster.
Haven't ridden the F series sleds though, so I don't know their riding characteristics

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
power to weight of an f7 is better than the new f-series but i here they trail ride better the f8 only has 5 more ponies with a broader torque range than the f7 but is about 60 pounds heavier

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Originally posted by Achotrod
[br]The firecat is much more than a drag sled! It is one of the best handling sleds ever built and probably the best ditch banger ever put out! Also has decent deep snow capability with the snopro track!!! I havent ridden the dragon but im sure its a great sled as well!!
Are you serious? The F-7 was never known for its handleing, actually for the tight twisties it plain ole sucks. Straight line was very quick but a trail machine it is not even close to the best.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Originally posted by PolarisEdge
[br]
[br]The firecat is much more than a drag sled! It is one of the best handling sleds ever built and probably the best ditch banger ever put out! Also has decent deep snow capability with the snopro track!!! I havent ridden the dragon but im sure its a great sled as well!!
Are you serious? The F-7 was never known for its handleing, actually for the tight twisties it plain ole sucks. Straight line was very quick but a trail machine it is not even close to the best.
Very serious!!! I have owned two firecats and a sabercat!!! All OF THEM Out handled my 99 formula z, my 00 mxz 700, My 98 zl 440, an 00 xcsp 600, 94 ext 580, 02 zr 600efi and the xlt 600 triple i rode last weekend for starters. I like the rev but love the Cats lightweight more. You can fling these things through the twisties like a dirt bike!!! If your set up isnt good or ur not used to it, it does have some inside ski lift! Have you ever riddin one for a period of time and not just a blast around???

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yes sir.... I found it rode about as good as a lumber wagon... and that was coming off of a wedge bodied sled I was riding at the time.... I do have a lot of hours on an F-7 and I ride with 3 F-7's with very compitant riders.... They just don't seem to perform as well as even an Edge chassis for the trails and are always struggling to stay with us.... on the straights they really shine but I don't find them that fast as much as I find them quick. They accelerate very quickly but even my xcsp 700 runs with them at high top end identically.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
nobody has read all the good noise about the dragon on hcs??..... majority of the guys who own the sled are pretty pissed off right now.....

apparently there is a bog at 20-30 mph even after the vaporizer fix.
supposedly there is a lean spot in the fuel mapping.
and something about an enrichment mode when you start the sled that may be the cause of the fouled plugs when you start it and let it idle or start going

and a guy complaining about cruising between 70-80 mph and it has a very intermittent hesitation.

another guy said his throttle cable stretched at 300 miles.... idk about that he might be nuts.

and another guys testimony...."[black]I took it easy for 75 miles, no drag racing before that. Then at 200 miles I lined up with a buddies 06 600 HO and pulled away for about 5 seconds and that was that. The sled will only hit 7500 rpm even on a stand and you can smell the unburned fuel, left cylinder about 10 degrees cooler and the 600 will beat me every time.
Taking it to dealer Tuesday, he thinks a coil might be bad and I also think the ECU is way out.

It doesn't matter how you ride it, if the ECU is not functioning properly and freezes in a "safe mode" it is just a matter of time before YOUR sled has the temp, throttle, etc at a certain combination and it will most likely do the same thing."[/black]

im gonna say that polaris is gonna come up with a re flash for the ecu. bring it back to ground zero to solve the problem. ...
there is a few more complaints yet.

"they are aware of heavy rich dragons. My temps are about 112-115 *F all day. Anybody who runs hotter than that probably doesn't have as ruch of a dragon as I, and that is why mine is a dog. Less fuel, runs hotter, runs better."

there is another problem right there.... if the sled is running rich on fuel its goin to run cooler...but too much fuel will wash out the cylinders being that there is not enough oil to the fuel to keep it lubed.... resulting in lower compression....which is coming up ahead.

polaris said the compression should be around 145 per cylinder....
some guy said his gauge read 75psi. either his gauge sucks or his juggs are done.

also guys are saying they are only getting 7500 rpms out of em'

i see erick was posting in the topic over there so he has read all of this..... but i do feel bad for the guys who's sleds arent functioning right

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Originally posted by PolarisEdge
[br]
I think my RMK handles better than the F-series sled I've had a chance to drive, plus those cats are way too heavy IMO cats seem to average more weight than any other sled I've ever tried to lift

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
EDIT: No Comment

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Originally posted by Team_Arctic_SnoPro
[br]I seen 4 Dragons in action up at the SF Group Ride in Isabella. Not really impressed. From what i can tell their top end sucks.
yeah the next one i see i wanna race it. just because the one i probably run into will be running crappy. im looking forward to it

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
[br]power to weight of an f7 is better than the new f-series but i here they trail ride better the f8 only has 5 more ponies with a broader torque range than the f7 but is about 60 pounds heavier
That is because Arctic Cat discovered the the 1st gen F chassis has some durability problems, so they beefed the chassis up.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.