Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good way of draining the chaincase on a '99 XC
without making a real mess in the engine comp.
Is there room for a 1/4" suction hose?? cause I have access to one.
Also......anyone use synthetic chain case oil in their Polaris?
Is it worth the extra bucks?
My dad uses it in his AC, and raves about it, esp at low temps(>-25 C).

Ride to ride again.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I don't know your sled but last polaris I worked on their wasn't a great way to change your chain case oil. Think they would put a hole right under it so all you do is pop a plastic cap out and bam it drains through the body but NO.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Are you sure it doesn't have a drain plug on the underside of the sled??? Even my '98 xcr 440 has a drain plug. I thought for sure all the newer XC's did too. I'm not sure anymore. It's really hard to see, it uses an alen wrench. Look real hard underneath for a small hole in the plastic. It leads to the case.

If it really has no plug, then tip the sled on it's left-hand side so the oil moves away from the cover and use lots of old rags to soak up the oil when you pull the cover off. The oil that remains inside can be soaked up with rags too, or use a turkey baister to suck the rest out. Personally, i just leave the sled sit on it's skis and let the oil spill into the rags. The case doesn't hold much oil.

While your inside, pull out the chain and look VERY CAREFULLY for any cracks in the links. Look for broken sprocket teeth, and also check the bearings on the driveshafts for any brocken seals. The rubber seal that is on the chain case cover is reusable.

I use synthetic oil for everything on my machine. I use AMSOIL mostly. The engine loves the stuff. If you change the chain case oil every season, regular chain case oil is just fine, but i still use synthetic anyway. I like the idea that it can help keep down temperatures and reduce friction even better than regular oil. It's unbelievable how much force and tension goes through those chain and sprockets!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
not to riase any tempers, but are u sure that it reduces friction and stuff? just because the manufacture says it does? iw ould think a good quality gear lube would work, all the farmers out there that change oil in differentials in 4wd tractors and such, just use a good quality gear lube, which is like 90 weight oil....if im not mistaken, thats what we are puttin in the final drives of my combine neway......so i dont see any difference, besides maybe temperature, like oil for colder climates and such....

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
True. Actually i live on a dairy farm in Minnesota. Your right, synthetic isn't always better. It has a few weaknesses of its own. However, the final drive in your combine i'm sure doesn't spin nearly as fast as the chain in your snowmobile; that's the only reason i would suggest an alternative.

It's all about personal preference and what you believe in.

Oil is our friend.

·
Registered
425 Posts
my 96 xlt sp has a drain plug that can be accessed from underneath. by the way, how often should the oil be changed and is it best to use the polaris chaincase oil?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the help.......I will look for the drain plug underneath tonite.
I sure would not want to pay for the amount of synthetic oil that would fill
the diff on a 4 wheel drive JD. Plus I agree that our chains are under
far more stress than chains in agricultural purposes, lots more RPM's.
I had synthetic put in a 5 spd manual on a Ford Ranger a few years ago,
I really noticed a major difference in the winter in very cold conditoins,
very smooth clutching and shifting. Not sure if this would make any difference in a sleds chaincase. Considering it will only require a 1/2 litre
or so it might be worth the extra expense.
Thanks again........K

Ride to ride again.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
the stuff my dad bought, which is 90 weight oil, or gear lube, was 17.95 for a 2 1/2 gallon jug. It's all part of the expenses planned for.......its just like changing oil in the 4wd tractor, put 10 gallons of oil in it, it all adds up and is planned for.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
My 97 XLT SP has the drain plug in the bottom as well. Of course I didn't realize this untill AFTER I changed the case oil the first time
Anyways, I use Klotz synthetic in mine. It's only like 8$ at my local parts dealer, so I figured why not.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
425 Posts
What's the weight? 80w90? I know my jeep takes 75w90 gear/axel lube which is synthetic. They don't make 80w90 in synthetic. Not sure if that's the right stuff though. I remember reading somewhere that you need to stick with the Polaris OEM chaincase oil since it contains something like molibdenum?????? or something like that. I have no clue other than my chaincase oil is as black as coal and looks like it could use a change (I bought it used from a dealer says he did the pre-season service on it before I bought it).

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hmmm, I'm not sure. Here's the link to the products site though:

http://www.klotzlube.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KS&Product_Code=Snomobile+Chain+Case+Synthetic+Lubricant

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
425 Posts
You are the fountain of knowlege! That looks like good stuff and I'm sure it is cheaper than the OEM stuff the dealer sells. Are you in the habit of changing the chaincase oil every season?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well I just got the sled last season and I had to replace the oil any way due to the fact that I had to replace the entire case.....the chain had let go and shattered it. I bought it that way so I got a GREAT deal on it!

But to answer your question, yes I think I will change it every season. Maybe thats over kill with synthetic, but having the drain plug makes it so easy to do, and like others have said, there's a lot of heat and friction that can build up in there. So its a cheep insurance policy for your chain case, assuming you frequently check the chain tension through out the season

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree, I'd rather change it and know that there is no question about the chain being lubricated properly. Like you said cheap insurance. Besides if a machine sits for 7 to 8 months it is bound to be a good thing to change the fluids. I know the dipstick seals the case but again cheap insurance.

By the way, I found these 2 sites for Klotz chaincase oil. I looked at the link you gave me but there are no stores immediately near me. Closest on is 37 miles away.

http://www.blackmagicracing.com/traction3.htm

http://www.masonracing.com/sledframe.htm

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
neone have ne ideas on how to drop the chaincase oil out of a 99 powder special? i was lookin at it today and it doesnt look like it will be a snap...lol.....there is about an inch of room between the bottom of the case and the engine compartment.....and no hole in the bottom for it to drain out of, and even after all my talk of not goin synthetic.....i am.....lol

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I would say to try Megaman's suggestion then. Tipping the machine on its side with the chain case cover up. When you take the cover off, all the oil will stay in the case. Then just use some old shop rags to soak it up.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was talking to my neighbor about the chain case oil. He is a sworn Arctic Cat guy. He told me he would never change his chain case oil. He said there is no reason to. It doesn't get contaminated with anything unless you get water or dirt in it. I can't seem to agree with his logic. There must be some break down of the oil from the friction. He also said that it doesn't get that hot so it would not suffer from thermal break down either. What the....????? I dis-agree.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
He's right. Only the engine can get hot enough for thermal breakdown to occur, but there are other things besides losing oil viscocity that can promote chain/sprocket wear.

The only thing i got to say about that is the fact that there is always SOME teeny tiny flecks of steel that wear off of the sprockets and chain. Even though there is usually a magnet at the end of the dipstick to catch metal pieces, i can't deny that those pieces are still in the oil. And since we have no oil filter to change, I'll still change my oil every season. IMO.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
exactly as i was thinkin MegaMan.....the chian and sprockets will wear cuasing metal shavings...

When's Winter Coming Back?​

1 - 20 of 22 Posts