Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to add a little more traction to my running boards. Aside from the dirt, I think it turned out pretty good [thumb]

Before
201113112019370_83.jpg

After
201113111956234_83.jpg

201113112029432_83.jpg

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
thats pretty cool. did u just drill holes a little smaller then the bumps?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, drilled 1/2" holes which removed the "bumps" entirely, then used a die to reform the holes to make the raised edges.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ridingthe600edge said:
looks good! wonder why polaris didn't think of that from the factory???
Ya got me??? Not that it eliminates a whole lot of weight, but hey, a little bit here and a little bit there adds up. And after raising the edges around the holes, I didn't lose any strength in the boards.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
TriumphoverU said:
No, drilled 1/2" holes which removed the "bumps" entirely, then used a die to reform the holes to make the raised edges.
Had me a little confused about that, looking at the pics. That's what I figured you did. Turned out real good!![thumb]

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Looks great! The "template" that the bumps gave makes it looks very professional, like they are suppose to be there.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
what kind of die did you use to raise the upper edges? How long did it take you?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jesse500 said:
what kind of die did you use to raise the upper edges? How long did it take you?
I bought the die from a local here in Michigan. You can find him over on johndee.com. I think his screen name over there is polarisrider1. It was $38 for the kit, which included the die and a 1/2" stepped drill bit.

It took me about an hour per side to do.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
TriumphoverU said:
jesse500 said:
I bought the die from a local here in Michigan. You can find him over on johndee.com. I think his screen name over there is polarisrider1. It was $38 for the kit, which included the die and a 1/2" stepped drill bit.

what does the die look like? And how does it raise the edges?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
Looks great! The "template" that the bumps gave makes it looks very professional, like they are suppose to be there.
Thanks, I'm happy how it turned out! If you look closely I still have one more row on both sides to drill and stamp. This should add a little bit of traction for my feet without costing me an arm and a leg. Plus like you said, it looks factory.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jesse500 said:
TriumphoverU said:
jesse500 said:

what does the die look like? And how does it raise the edges?
When I get home from work I'll take a pic, or you can go over to johndee.com and find the pic of it there.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
http://www.johndee.com/discuss/messages/6/111304.html?1267332161

Check that page out.

As for tips, use aresol white grease on the threads it works better. Follow the instructions, use the step drill and drill about 2 sizes smaller than you need from the bottom. Then finish the hole from the top to the size you need.

·
Registered
276 Posts
http://www.johndee.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11410

I believe that is what we're looking for [thumb]

Simple as drilling out the holes then torquing the die to the correct poundage? If thats the case then I'm requesting this kit ;)

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Scorch said:

Simple as drilling out the holes then torquing the die to the correct poundage? If thats the case then I'm requesting this kit ;)
Thanks for fixing the link, and yes it is that simple!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
TriumphoverU said:
Scorch said:

Thanks for fixing the link, and yes it is that simple!
Do I need to buy the kit and the stepped bit? Or just the kit? What does the stepped bit do? And did you drill the holes down through the running boards, or up through the running boards?

I want to do this to my 2001 Polaris. It has the skinny running boards, what size kit should I get?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When you buy the kit from him, it comes with the die or stamp or whatever you wanna call it, 2 bolts, 2 washers, and the stepped drill bit. All of that for $38 shipped to your door step. I went with the 1/2" kit for my sled, which worked perfectly.

When you drill with the stepped bit, you drill from the bottom up through the first 4 steps, then take the drill bit and finish the final 2 steps from the top down. This gives you a much cleaner hole without all of the metal shavings still stuck inside the hole.

Of course if your sled has the heat exchangers below the boards, you can't do this to your sled.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts