Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,any tips on replaceing the drive chain on a 96 xlt600 with reverse....hasnt broke yet but by the looks of the debri on the dipstick i think i better replace it...thanks[:(]

·
Registered
83 Posts
How many miles on it ,there is always black
stuff on the dipstick because of the magnet,
Iknow I used to be really concerned about that,but it is usually normal .

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its got 5k there are pieces of the chain on the end of the dipstick...looks like a couple links broke too mee

·
Registered
837 Posts
then replace it if you get little triangle pieces all you should have to do is remove the cover and linkage and then loosen the tensioner and maybe the chain will come off if not remove the top sprocket

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yeah change the chain for sure. You also should check both sprokets and change them if there is excessive wear. It's a simple procedure but you will need to take the top sprocket off. Oh and use blue locktite on the sprocket bolts when reassembling.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Magnaman if you have reverse just pay attention to how tight the chain is. That will determine if your sled will go into reverse when you are done. Riley

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I have a 97 XLT SP with rev. To make things easier on yourself, take the top sprokets retaining nut off as well as the bottom sprokets retaining bolt. Just be sure you really look at how all the sprockets, nuts, bolts, washers, etc come off, so you can put them back on in the correct order.

Be sure to check all of the gear's teeth as well. You want the yoke on the inside up (the lever thats attached to it down) when you put the cover back on so the reverse will engage. Just take your time, and really watch as you take it apart and you should be all set. Oh, the bottom sprokets retaining bolt, collar and spring can be a pain to get threaded back in, due to the spring tension. Be patient and stay at it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
one other thing, on the bottom sprocket, yo will see it also has a little gear attached to it, and there are springs behind it, really pay attention to this, makesure there is no damage to this gear, cause the 92 trail i am fixing blew this little gear apart, i found springs in the bottom of what was left of the chaincase. just wanted to let you know about this so that you can make sure ther is no damage to this gear.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks again guys ill keep those tips in mind.....yu guys are super!!! whish yu were my neighbors...thanks again...dale

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Jeeze magnaman, I just looked at your profile and see you live in Presque Isle. I live down in Waterville, near Auguata. I hear you guys got some decent snow up there, and are already riding the trails, and RR bed. Must be nice! We lost all our snow last Sat due to all the damn rain we got. Suppose to get more rain tomorrow as well. Looks like I'm going to have to be making a trip up north sometime after the holidays just to be able to ride. Good luck with the sled repairs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes tifin weve had some pretty decent trail conditions for this early in the season..i got about 100 miles in before this little episode....i think we will have a better season than last year....nice too meet a fellow mainer.....engage the mechanism....dale

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well guys shes all back together....took me 2 days to find a chain...seems everyone was out of them ...but im back in buisness...yu were right about that bottom sprocket and spring asss.embly...tifin...what a *&^%$%^&...anyhoo ive got it all back together...while i was at it i adjusted my waterpump belt and added synthetic oil to chain case....total for repairs...about 60 bucks..not too bad...well thanks for the info guys.....engage the mechanism......lmao

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Glad to hear you got her back in running order! Yeah, that bottom bolt and spring are fun, hu. [:D]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts