Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres what happened, riding along about a total of 10-12 miles, my son says he notices somthing wrong so we stop and I give it some gas and ggllghtglt!!, thats my description of the sound it made. We bring it home and pull the (now cracked) chaincase cover and all the gears look good but when I pull the chain tight I have about a 1/2 inch of gap between the tensioner and the chain. what could it be? Bearings seem fine, no wobble in the shafts at all and the chain seems to be I very good shape. I am confused
2 things, 1 its a 95 a/c cougar the second is it was out of oil due to the crack in the case.

I don't care where we go, let's just ride....

Edited by - FXD on January 21 2002 2:53:11 PM

·
Registered
55 Posts
1st of all, what kind of sled do you have??

Also, some sleds have a locking tensioner bolt on the side of the chaincase, is there a chance that this came loose??

Other than that I don't see how you could get that much slack all of a sudden without some major trauma damage.

Hope this helps.

(o;

DNO.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you haven't pulled the gears and chain I'd do that. I had that same sound on my 88 Eltigre last year. I had just replaced the track and both bearings on the drive shaft about 100 miles before that. I pulled the chain case cover again and found the chain was bad and actually rode up over the gears. I new that I should have replaced the chain when I had it apart the first time but no had it in stock. I would up replacing both the gears. Also by not replacing all three parts the old parts will wear out the new ones quicker.

Wow, I'm a senior member after this post. I'm feeling really old now!!!!
2001 ZL800
Delta IIs
Power Breather
MBRP Silencer
Coupling Kit
Goodwin Clutch Kit

Creek beds don't make good brakes!

Edited by - rtkatzl8 on 21 Jan 2002 18:24:02

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats Rtkat, I've enjoyed your posts and insights.

But true Senior' status comes AFTER you lose the 800 and get a 440 2-up with the built in seat warmer.

(o;

DNO.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Tensioner Plain and simple, a chain just cant strech that much without breaking. Take a good look at your tensioner and find out why this happened. As was said earlier, it may just be that the tensioner was never adjusted or may have came loose. But i would replace the gears and chain, and have that chaincase welded, slap it all back together and your good to go.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Bearings could be bad, and allowing the gears too much free play. Also found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys I'm takin all the gears,chain and tensioner in to the shop to have em check em over . Then I can see what the new parts look like compared to mine. it really seems strange that it could have that much play now when a month ago it didn't have any.

WEIRD

Thanks again

·
Registered
278 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by DNO36:

Congrats Rtkat, I've enjoyed your posts and insights.

But true Senior' status comes AFTER you lose the 800 and get a 440 2-up with the built in seat warmer.

(o;

DNO.

[/quote]
I've got the 440 2-up beat!!!! Maybe I should be riding my kids Enticer 250 single?
That might as well be my sled for the amount of riding I've been able to do in Northern IL this year....

2001 ZL800
Delta IIs
Power Breather
MBRP Silencer
Coupling Kit
Goodwin Clutch Kit

·
Registered
278 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by RtkatZL8:

If you haven't pulled the gears and chain I'd do that. I had that same sound on my 88 Eltigre last year. I had just replaced the track and both bearings on the drive shaft about 100 miles before that. I pulled the chain case cover again and found the chain was bad and actually rode up over the gears. I knew that I should have replaced the chain when I had it apart the first time but no one had it in stock. I wound up replacing both the gears. Also by not replacing all three parts the old parts will wear out the new ones quicker.

Wow, I'm a senior member after this post. I'm feeling really old now!!!!
2001 ZL800
Delta IIs
Power Breather
MBRP Silencer
Coupling Kit
Goodwin Clutch Kit

Creek bed[/quote]

2001 ZL800
Delta IIs
Power Breather
MBRP Silencer
Coupling Kit
Goodwin Clutch Kit

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK update, when I inspected the chaincase in the field I forgot to mention it was dry, no oil at all. so I took the parts in and the shop said all the parts looked good, so I ordered a new chain. I laid them out side by side and the old one was about 1/4 inch longer. So I put the new one in and it fits like a glove, now I'm just waiting for the new cover to come in and I should be good to go. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Agreeing with erick here, it would take something earthshattering to make a chain 1/4" longer, especially if it were fine a couple of months ago.

Make sure you check EVERY possible cause.

(o;

DNO.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
glad to hear you got it back in working order- also, dont forget to put oil in the case, as you have seen, lack of oil BAD! just thought id point that out........

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
apparently it had this problem before, and they replaced the chain, but I think your right, they put the wrong chain on. although I dont know how long It was out of lube either. But when I get the new cover on I'll let you know how it works. Thanks for the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts