Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with in 5 miles of my first ride I lost my speedo. I figured it was a broken cable so i kept riding. Then i started to hear a grinding noise down by my secondary. turns out I lost my drive shaft bearing.
What that also cause me to loose my speedo? I think it does but just checking.

And has Any one ever changed one of these?

Where can I get new bearing for my sled. Had a hard time.

1994 jag z 440

Thanks

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
well if you have a air chisel, these are not to bad ,take secondary off ,the 3 bolts holding the bearing flanges ,,tip it up on its side and take the air chisel and drive it off ,takes a while to do this

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Alot of times if you lose your speedo, it is a good sign that your driveshaft bearing is either going out, or is already gone. When the bearing goes out, it tends to off-set the speedo key that goes from the speedo adapter into the driveshaft. This off-set may break the key, thus the speedo going out. In your case, I would say there is a pretty good chance that your speedo going out is directly related to the driveshaft bearing being bad.

I've replaced one in the past. You will have to remove the skid in order to remove the driveshaft and track. Once the driveshaft is out, the old bearing can be pressed off, and the new one installed.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
thats works to ,several ways to chage it

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i mean I have taken out a side many times and a track once but do I really have to take out the chain and i mean everything just to change one bearing? I took out a bearing on a 98 zr 600 and it just popped right out. But anyone know where to get one????

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
local auto parts store

·
Registered
89 Posts
While your in there replace all the bearings. My drive shaft bearing failed last year. I figured I may as well change them all while it was apart thats when I found the jack shaft bearing ready to fail! You will only have 50 bucks into it if you replace them all.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But i mean isn't there a online store I can get them. i wouldn't think an auto parts store around me would have then

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
can get them next day

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
440_jag said:
but do I really have to take out the chain and i mean everything just to change one bearing?
Why not? Clearly you already had one bearing failure...who's to say you won't have more? Since you need to replace one, tear it apart and inspect all your bearings, chain, sprockets, etc. This way you know that everything is fine when you get out and ride again. Preventive maintenence my friend...

Reactions: casimircaptain

·
Registered
84 Posts
This same thing happened to me last year. Don't try an auto parts store. All they have there are tapered wheel bearings which won't work. I tried it. It left me stranded. I would think the webstores would carry them. On mine I had to take the driveshaft all the way out cuz the bearing detonated enough that only the inner race was left. And had to press it off.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If you do a search on here for drive shaft bearings you'll find a lot of your questions answered... and yes, your speedo going out is usually the first sign that your bearing is going.. and check denniskirk.com, hiperf.com, or startinglineproducts.com for some online stores that offer bearings..

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help guys. going to dig at her this weekend. So were thinking 50$ for all new bearings........ drive shaft, jackshaft, ect?

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
According to online microfiche your sled takes
Clutch side driveshaft bearing - 1602-375 BEARING,1.00 W/COLLAR $42.95 (canadian)
Chaincase side - 1602-051 BEARING, 1 INCH (W/O-RING) $34.79 (canadian)

If you get the bearings from elsewhere and want the oring separate -
0107-003 SEAL,O RING .093 $1.79 (canadian)

Here is your clutch side drive shaft bearing http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/04-160-1.html?id=BNyaMzaf
That website says it also works for your chaincase side bearing. I don't know if that is true. Probably is.

You can order right from there for 10 bucks each or you can take your bearings and information into your nearest KAMAN dealer and he can probably match you up to their bearings. They sell quality like SKF also.

Oh.. I forgot to say those numbers I got were for a sled that does NOT have reverse.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Cooked said:
This same thing happened to me last year. Don't try an auto parts store. All they have there are tapered wheel bearings which won't work. I tried it. It left me stranded. I would think the webstores would carry them. On mine I had to take the driveshaft all the way out cuz the bearing detonated enough that only the inner race was left. And had to press it off.
the auto parts stores around here can get you any kind of bearing ,even for a john deere

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys but I already found a place. My dad is a tool and die maker and he has some company that makes conesentric bearings so I'm going to go with the. And my drive shaft bearing were r100. Iv decided to be smart and replace them all with need sealed bearing. Drive shaft and jack shaft. And after I took it apart the pto side bearing was toast. No seals left, no o-rings. the race was fried on lol.

But anyone know how to put a different key in the drive shaft. It sheared off and i don't know what to do.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
You will probably have to order a new speedo key from a dealer or online...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
A seal pick or a dental pick will help to get the remaining piece of the key out.
It's usually about $3.95 at the cat dealers for a new one. I usually stock several so that I do not have to make a trip whenever I need one.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I can just pick the remaining chunk out of the shaft and im good? how long does it have to stick out of the shaft?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts