Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '93 AC ext 580, the splines on the driveshaft are twisting off. Where would be a good place to get another shaft? Also, what would cause this problem? Just normal use?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
first off i would go to a local metal working shop and ask if it is repairable b4 buying a new one, they could even make u a new one pretty much the same as factory for much less if its not fixable, if u wanna use factory parts go to your dealer

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
? Where the gears for the chain attach? When you say drive shaft you are talking about the shaft with the drivers(Lower shaft) or the shaft driven by the clutch (upper shaft) in chain case?
Or are you talking about the shaft the drive clutch is mounted on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I'm talking about the shaft that drives the track. That's what the repair manual calles it, a drive shaft.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I don't know where your at but some areas have sled salvage areas. Here's a big outfit from WI that ships all over.

http://www.centralsnowmobile.com/Central/homepage.htm

I have talked to them on the phone before and they treated me well.

·
Registered
777 Posts
as for a couse,
Im thinking ,excessive free play in the chain,and /or a badly worn bottom gear.
maybe you bent the shaft hitting something.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I once had to replace the driveshaft (drive axle on track) on my Polaris once because a rock or something big jammed inside the tunnel and bent the shaft right in the middle. I could feel it racheting at moderate speeds.

It bent very very little, but enough so that i had no idea it was making the gear inside the chain-case wobble at it rotated. This wobble forced the gear to grind up against the chain-case body and cause everything to grind, twist and weardown....chains, gears, bearings and all. Most notable was that the track was difficult to spin around. This made the entire axle weak at the ends too, so i had to replace it. Costs about $75 at the dealer.

Chances are very good that something on your sled is causing excessive force on your drive axle in order for it to be twisting the splines. Too much friction somewhere in the drivetrain, or even too much slack in the chain, track or clutching could cause it to be "snapping" into action and twisting your splines.

Save your plastic wheels as they are to be pressed back on the new shaft. Simply measure the distances and press it on at a machine shop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talked to the local AC dealer, I got a used shaft out of a bigger machine that will fit right in, and it does. What I was told is that because of the way the shaft was made, with a bolt that goes into the splined end of the shaft to hold the gear on, is that because of the removal for the hole, it's a bit weaker than it should be, the new/used shaft I have retains the gear with a nut, and it fits in the gear case. So I guess that takes care of that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
ahh, the drive shaft..... I totaly shattered the drive shaft on my old 86 yammi exciter. It one of those old super really long track sled with hardly any rear suspension. Ok along with the story. It was the first time I got to ride that winter, so i just went riding around the fields for a little while and i was testing it out, everything seemed fine but then i thought "i better test suspension out". so i saw a good little just that was good for about 2 or 3 feet of air. So i hit it at a pretty good speed, it was went great...accept for the landing.... I just so happened to land in a plowed field and due to the lack of snow it was enought to entirely destroy the drive shaft. Peices of it flew thought the hood, oil spayed and squirted everywhere, I was lucky not to be hit by any of it. I am an idiot....

The End

1 - 11 of 11 Posts