Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 440 Indy that needs a new track. I have access to some good 1" or better used tracks but they are too tall for clearance. I have never changed track sprocket sizes on a sled and know that I can buy a 7 or 8 tooth driver to replace the factory 9 tooth. My question's are

1. Has anyone done this to be able to install a taller lug track in the pre-X10 sleds ? What results?

2. Would I still have clearance issues between top of tunnel and track even if heat exchanger clearance was ok for this sled?

3. How much does a driver tooth affect gearing? Every tooth 1/9th change?

Thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
If your sled has the drop brackets you can drop the front and rear of the skid allowing for a taller lug track, I think.
Why do you need to change the drive sprocket? Is there something wrong with the one thats on there?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trailjunkie said:
If your sled has the drop brackets you can drop the front and rear of the skid allowing for a taller lug track, I think.
Why do you need to change the drive sprocket? Is there something wrong with the one thats on there?
The diameter of the stock 9 tooth driver gives me less than 1/2" clearance between heat exchanger and the lugs of a 3/4" track. If I install a 1" track, it will likely balloon forward at speed and hit exchanger, a bigger problem if I want studs. An 8 or 7 tooth driver is smaller in diameter so track is farther away from exchanger. This is something mountain guys do often I understand, I am a flatlander so changing driver size for bigger lugs is new to me. I am also unsure how it affects final drive ratio and what I would need to do to gearing-if at all.

Dropping suspension mounts as you suggest should help with tunnel clearance if needed. Thanks,

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's what I just found on HCS http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/314-trail-classic-xlt/441928-big-lug-track-indy-s.html

I guess your speedo is forever out?

·
Registered
645 Posts
i use 8 tooth drivers on my 1992 indy xcr 440.

im running a 1.75" track. was using a 1 or 1,25" track with the stock 9 tooth drivers.

the suspension is dropped to the lowest mounting hole in the rear.
2010929135243234_21850.jpg

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts