Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 98 Indy 500. While I was doing some tinkering on it today, I noticed something that didn't look right to me, but I'm new to working on sleds so I'm not sure.

The "driven clutch", the one to the rear in the engine bay that the drive belt goes to - Is it supposed to slide in and out on that shaft? It does not seem right to me, it moves several inches if I pull out on it.

Also, any tips on how to get the belt off and on? There must be some trick to do this that I don't know about.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Yes, that's correct. It's on a "floating shaft" so the center axis of the clutch is always perpendicular to the belt. If the clutch didn't slide back and forth, the belt would be straight at some clutch ratios but would twist/bend at others.

However, several inches sounds like a lot. It should only slide around an inch or so. You can fill the gap with several washers.

·
Registered
463 Posts
if it moves several inches, that is not good! they should float on the jack shaft very little like a fraction of an inch

when you pull on the clutch does the jackshaft move aswell? and do both halves of the clutch move together or just one of the sheaves?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the fact that it moves is good.

It moves as one unit, both halves move together.

It moves almost 2 inches on the shaft. Keep in mind the belt in on, not sure how to take that off yet without wrecking something either. :~)

So, anything to be concerned about?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
How many washers are on the shaft?

To take the belt off, grab hold of the inner sheave (the one closer to the airbox) and turn it clockwise. That is, pull the top of the inner sheave to the rear of the sled. It will start to twist, then grab the bottom portion of the belt inbetween the two clutches and pull up. This helps keep the inner sheave rotating clockwise, but more importantly it separates the two sheaves so you can pull the belt off the driven clutch. Then you can unwrap the belt off the primary clutch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many washers are on the shaft?

I'm not sure. On the inside or the outside of the driven clutch? Not sure what I'm looking for.

Might have to wait until tomorrow to look, dark in the garage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I got sick of watching Favre throw interceptions, so went out there.

I see what I think are 3 washers. Also see a grease zerk. How much grease do I put in there?

Also, got the belt off. It kicked my butt a bit, but once I figured out how it worked, got it.

Anything I should do to the clutch while I'm in there? I haven't driven the sled yet, unless you call the two 15 foot scrapes up my new driveway, driving! It's the Marine in me kicking in when I do dumb things like that.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts