Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am referring to the one opposite of the chain case, where the speedometer gear is. It slides on the and has two Allen setscrews.

1 should the bearing be held with the two mounts under the tunnel or on the outside of the tunnel near the clutch.

2. Does it matter? It seems like their should be more around the driveshaft. I could gain by mounting under the tunnel.

3. I mounted everything in the chaincase first, then moved over to this side.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Yep, and make sure the set screws are the last thing you tighten. That way the bearing self-centers.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When it is all together, the end of the driveshaft will not be through the tunnel? The collar on the bearing extends the driveshaft to the bearing brackets? If I were to take off the bearing, it looks like the driveshaft would be short? Is all this correct?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1997 xc 440, I looked at various exploded views and the chaincase side is correct. Rev seems to work or engage. I have some pics in my gallery but they are not correct. I will take some better pics.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have two drivers and if I measure from the side of the tunnel to the center of each driver they are within an 1/8 of a inch.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone have a pic of the bearing location on the driveshaft? I tightened the lower gear until the bolt bottomed which left plenty of room for the rev. Spring to "collapse"

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I hope somebody chimes in here for you that knows something about it. I'm guessing you have just installed reverse and are now experiencing the problem?? Anyway, from your photos, your driveshaft definitely doesn't extend far enough toward the speedo side of the sled. Either the shaft is wrong or the chaincase is mounted wrong.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought the sled with rev. That bearing had let go. The driveshaft marked up the inside of the tunnel and broke the c-clip holder for the bottom bearing in the chaincase.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts