Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to remove the driveshaft, and it keeps getting stuck in the chain case, does anyone have any ideas? I tryed filing the end of the driveshat, but it did not help.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the driveshaft out from the chaincase, and the bottom driver is all the way against the clutch side tunnel, and there is still not room to slide the driveshaft out.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
If it has four drive cogs the chain case will have to be removed also.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What difference will removing the chaincase make? The driveshaft is out of the bearing, but does not clear the hole in the tunnel.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Sorry, previous post was from my droid and the autospeller effed up chaincase..

For a 4 cog driveshaft to come out, you need to unbolt the chaincase from the chassis for clearance.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, the chaincase is not bolted to the chassis, but it is still pretty close to original location because the jackshaft is still holding it in place.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Try completely removing the chaincase from the chassis, then slide drive shaft all the way to the chaincase side and try to take the clutch side of the drive shaft out first.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Luke said:
Try completely removing the chaincase from the chassis, then slide drive shaft all the way to the chaincase side and try to take the clutch side of the drive shaft out first.
The clutch side bearing is stuck, I loosened the setscrew, but it won't budge. I would like to get it off soon, because I bough an almost new camoplast predator today.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The bearing on the clutch side on the driveshaft won't come off on the sled...

To get the driveshaft out, push the driveshaft toward the chaincase side till it clears the clutch side of hte tunnel, then drop the clutch side down and back till it clears the chassis, then slide the shaft out of the chaincase.

You're going to have to wrestle the track around to do this, it will not come out easy. What you can tdo to help, is support the weight of the track so it's not tight on the driveshaft while you're trying to do this. If you haven't done so, take the skid out.

I will add that it's muddafugga to do by yerself the first time, get help.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
gto0209 said:
anyone? any good tips for removing the bearing?
Soak with PB blaster and let it sit for a while, I use a ball joint pickle fork with something wedged behind it for leverage and try to pry it off that way, if all else fails I resort to the heat and beat method....[beatup], and then when that doesn't end up working I either get in there with a short sawzall blade and cut that damn bearing off or cut the mounting flange off so the bearing can be pulled through the hole in the bulk head, with the latter method you will end up having to get a new bearing flange and most likely a new bearing as it has already had the crap beat out of it and has been sworn at profusely many times over.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, finnaly got the track out. I got confused because the local dealer, and a local mechanic told me the driveshaft came out the chaincase side first. I broke two cheap bearing pullers, but eventually that some of a beyotch clutch side bearing came off. I put a new track on my mxz this summer, but I had a shop manual, and it was not super rusty like this one was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts