Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is the deal. This is a basket case/jigsaw puzzle. Yes, it is a convaluted mess but I would appreciate some pointers and helpful advice.

I just bought a '93 Formula Plus that supposedly had a 581 in it originally. The original owner blew it up and sold the rolling chassis.

The next owner put a a 4?? in it but said that it was doggie and didn't like it. He sold that engine and then bought a 617 out of a '91 Mach to put in it. He bolted the 617 in the frame but everything else is in two boxes.

While going through the boxes, there were two fuel pumps hooked in tandem (they were diamond shaped not the typical round one that I am used to). He was telling me that the 617 required those two pumps as one pump wouldn't get enough fuel for the engine. The carbs in the boxes are supposed to be from the 617 as well.

My '89 Mach with the 583 has only one fuel pump and my research has found that Mikuni doesn't really offer any choices when it comes to fuel volume on a dual carb fuel pump.

Is this guy blowing smoke up my skirt (figure of speech) or do I really need to put in the dual fuel pumps?

Any other issues that I am likely to encounter?

And yes, it was worth the purchase. He threw in 3 brand new drive belt, a reasonably new track, 3 extra fuel pumps, 10 spark plugs, another suspension from another '93 Formula, and a bunch of other misc stuff.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
http://216.37.204.206/ingles/Skidoo_oem/Skidoo.asp?Type=13&A=95&B=11

Part number 32, fuel pump assembly.

I forgot if there was a technical reason why they did the twin pumps on the 617, I just remember it was a last minute change before they released the sleds. I wish I had more info for you regarding pump capacity and other things. Shoot a question to team NFG on this site, he has good Ski-Doo info. I would go with the twin pumps just because I don't have any other background on what others might have switched to for a single unit. I do remember pulling the first 91 Mach out of the crate for PDI and noticed the twin pumps and thought "that's different" but I never looked any further into it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have four of these sleds (1that i ride-2 part sleds-and 1 that im restoring) they are all 91-93- 1 plus and 3 mach1's)andthey all have the dual fuel pumps- why i dont know i will ask my cousin and see what he says(he know everything about skidoo sleds)atleast thats what he says lol

is that extra suspension u have in good shape? is it the 3 shock suspension or the 2 shock suspension? can u post any pics? if u are interested in selling or trade as i have alot of parts for these sleds????

1 - 3 of 3 Posts