Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Sweet, looks like I will be camping over at my brothers tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
damn, gonna miss it. but i guess it's ok because i'll have live action [:)]

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by riixxii
[br]It starts at 1:00 actually.
Depends where your at.....

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Were do they get there snow this time of year? I didnt think they got much yet.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i was gonna say casue im looking at speed right now at 131 pm and its frickin bobsledding!!!!

2pm eastern time sunshine

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
I see its all man made snow. Lookin good so far. Polaris finished 1st and 2nd in the pro stock.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
First race was a great race. Too bad about that crash at the start. Took Tucker out of it immediately. He's lucky he didnt get ran over after getting thrown from his sled. Martin is gonna be hard to beat this year.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by RMK-KING
[br]I see its all man made snow. Lookin good so far. Polaris finished 1st and 2nd in the pro stock.
It was all man made snow that they have to haul in. Also, they didnt even run the whole track. They had a big oval that they ran on.
Pretty good race actually. I almost jumped out of my chair when I heard the throaty exhaust of the Yamaha. I love how the whole time during the mod race, no matter where the Yamaha was you could hear it over all the 2-stroke mod sleds. I cant wait to see it in person at Eagle River. [:D]
Its a shame they didnt do better at Duluth, but its an all-new sled and I think the heavier weight really hurts them. Oh well, Yamaha will get it figured out and will be running up front before long.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Well that Yammi couldn't have been to hard to find, all you had to do was look at last place!! It's too bad they give points for winning and not "throaty" sounds....[:D]

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Unless they allow a turbo yammi i doubt we'll see them win consistently for a long time yet. How about we let the 4 strokes have turbo 600cc race sleds and also have 600cc 2 stroke. My money will be on the 2 stroker time after time. Next year will be a big year for Pol, Cat, and Doo. They all have something ready for the intro to 600's. Yammi will be even further behind.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Wouldn't it have been easier to let Yammi run the Apex in the 440 "stock" class instead of making 3 other manufacturers design 600 class race sleds???

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yamaha doesnt even run the Apex in snocross. From the looks of it, Yammie's sno-x mod sled uses a Phazer chassis with a Vector motor.
They will get the new sled figured out and you will see Yamaha running up front. Laugh while you can, because its not gonna last.
So far they are vastly improved over last year's mod sled, so its only a matter of time.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
If the 4 strokes were so superior why not let 2 strokes have the cc advantage. Race 600cc 2 strokes against 500cc 4 strokes. Lets try this analogy. The Detroit Lions suck. But they play against teams in their league. Now if we were to let the Lions play against high school teams then im sure their record would be greatly improved. It still wouldnt make them a better team though. Yammi has a HUGE advantage and should be already winning races.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Not really. 2-strokes get a power stroke twice as often as does a 4-stroke, so that means they should be running 500 2-strokes against Yamaha's 1000 4-stroke. Plus, the Yamaha is about 20 pounds heavier than the 2-stroke mod sleds, so all the 2-stroke guys should be running 440s.
Yamaha is actually at a HUGE disadvantage.
They are trying to do something that no one else has even done before and its going to take them a while to get it dialed in.
Look at when the Polaris 440 IQ first came out. In the first year Polaris had issues and problems with it, but they got it all figured out and now the 440 IQ is as good or better than any of the other sno-x sleds. Yamaha will get it figured out and you will see them running up front. Im not saying they are going to dominate, but mark my words, they will be a force to be reckoned with. [8D]

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I was being sarcastic octane, my point was instead of making 3 other manufacturers start producing 600cc race sleds wouldn't it have made more sense to make one manufacturer start producing a 440 (or something simular) to compete?? And you hit the nail right on the head Jay!! Heres proof of that fact..

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/racing/snocross_team.aspx

Notice how they thump their chests and claim how they so "superior" and how are "dominating" in the 500 and 600 class, notice they fail to mention that they're running 150 HP sleds against 120 HP sleds, or 120 HP sleds against 80-105 HP sleds!! I can see the whole cc for cc debate, yes they make HP differently so I'm all for racing HP for HP that would be fair, but to allow one type of engine an advantage over another because of it's short comings is a total crook of BS!!! Heres another good example, twins vs triples, I don't get to run my 700 triple in the 600 class because my triple is heavier nor do I get to stretch the 660 foot track out to 1000 feet where my triple can really stretch its legs!! Even if it were allowed to run in the 600 class would that make my 700 triple "superior" to a 600 twin in a 1000 foot race?? Not really, its just better at doing what its DESIGNED to do!! That is whole MYTH they are trying to sell, that the 4-stroke is the "superior" race/trail/ditch-bangin/mountain sled when in fact they're not, instead of marketing them for what they really are-a really good trail sled!!! It would have been different at the race in Duluth when the annoucer was stateing that "4-stroke is the future" with the 4-stroke actually winning the race, but to make that statement with it running at the back of the pack is like saying "Briggs&Stratton is the FUTURE of NHRA drag racing"!! You always here people say that 4-strokes are forcing the whole industry to better itself, if that were true they'd be making them run HP for HP and forcing Yammi (or POO and CAT) to make a lighter 4-stroke!! Running a 120 HP Vector or a 140 HP FST against an 80 HP F5 isn't making the industry BETTER, its just making excuses, plain and simple!!!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I think all classes should be for a specific engine size, If you cant make a 4stroke as light or make as much horse power as a 2stroke with the same cc's. That is not my problem and the rules should not be changed for anyone or any sled! 4strokes should stick to the trails and drag races. untill they can make a sled that will compete with the 2strokes under the same rules. They should not get any engine size atvantage just because they make the power different or are heavy! That is their choice to run that engine & sled and if its heavy and slow too bad!!!

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
^^^^^exactly^^^^^I say quit making excuses and start building lighter 4-strokes!! Until then quit tilting the playing fields to give the ILLUSION that they're superior...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts