Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to learn about the heat exchangers and coolers. i am all confused and would like to know everything you know about them and if you have any pics that would help. i don't have anyone in the family to help me and still have lots to learn!

·
Registered
476 Posts
well the track shoots snow up on them which heats the snow then turns it into water and runs it through lines to ur engine

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Originally posted by ganch
[br]well the track shoots snow up on them which heats the snow then turns it into water and runs it through lines to ur engine
I hope you are just jokeing. If you are serious, you have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Heat exchangers and coolers are use for the cooling of a liquid cooled engine.
Most of the sleds have a heat exchanger in front of the track and coolers in the tunnel above the track.
Some models have coolers under the running boards and have heat exchangers in the rear under the beaver tunnel.
The coolant is pumped through them by the water pump in the engine. That is why it is important to always make sure you have snow spraying up into the tunnle by the track.

Hope this helps you understand it a little better.

Remember, THE ONLY DUMB QUESTIONS ARE THE ONES YOU DON,T ASK!!!! Don,t ever be afraid to ask questions, you will learn alot more by asking that reading about it in books.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
The koolers on you sled is a kooling system as you know. the track when your driving shoots snow up on them, the snow cools the antifrezze that is run through them. thats just a quick bit about them hope it helps some what.

·
Registered
476 Posts
ahha i jus took a guess, that was stupid of me i should of never posted unless i knew i guess i learnt a thing to, i guess that would be the reason for the antifreeze

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
this is why ppl who usually ride mtn sleds have to dip into deepsnow if riding on hardpack whenever they can so can do two things:
1. cool down the slides so they don't melt
2. put snow on the coolers and heat exchangers cooling the antifreeze thus cooling the engine

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
[br]well the track shoots snow up on them which heats the snow then turns it into water and runs it through lines to ur engine
Who the hell told you that? Or did you make that up yourself? I think someone needs to ride the short bus back to school....

Greasmonkey has got it covered...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Originally posted by mackinsaw
[br]
Who the hell told you that? Or did you make that up yourself? I think someone needs to ride the short bus back to school....

Greasmonkey has got it covered...
ahah i jus made it up i actuly had no clue how the cooling system worked. i am learnign lots with this new sled i jsut bought before all i did was ride them and never knew how they really worked

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^ yeah me too. this is really the first year that i have started learning things. i really want to learn as much as possible. i am really sorry but i have some more questions i just would like a brief summary to make sure i am clear on a few things. i just want to know what the air box, chaincase, and the parts of the carbs like floats and needles do.
thanks for all of the help it has been a big help!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
It's interesting to think how "snow" is so important for the function of a snowmobile. Not sure if anyone has noticed before or not but when a bunch of sleds take off across a lake that has NO snow, a few minutes later you can smell (burning candle wax) scent from the melting of the Slides.

·
Registered
476 Posts
well i do kno what the cahincase does becasue i just changed my track the chaincase has 2 gears in it with a chain. the chain is connected to 2 shafts. one shaft has the drivers on it to to turn your track. and ther is another shaft connected to your engine. these two shafts are connected by a chain. and for the carburator it combines gas and air to make a a combustable mixture, it regualtes the ratio of air and fuel,, it controls the engines speed. a float system is used to keep fuel in the bowl, if the fuel drops to a certain level the float lowers and opens the valve to let moe fuel in

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
The chain case is well what it sounds like a chain in a case. you have two gears a top gear (smaller one), and number 2 a bottom gear (a larger one). the smaller top gear is conected to a shaft that runs to your secondary clutch. the botom gear is conected to your drive shaft. when you give the motor gas at a certin rmp the primary clutch engages which intern grabs the belt which makes the sled move by moving the secondary, which then turns the top gear then the botom then the drive shaft. You can play around with gears to make the sled have more bottom end, midrange, or topend.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
[br]well i do kno what the cahincase does becasue i just changed my track the chaincase has 2 gears in it with a chain. the chain is connected to 2 shafts. one shaft has the drivers on it to to turn your track. and ther is another shaft connected to your engine. these two shafts are connected by a chain. and for the carburator it combines gas and air to make a a combustable mixture, it regualtes the ratio of air and fuel,, it controls the engines speed. a float system is used to keep fuel in the bowl, if the fuel drops to a certain level the float lowers and opens the valve to let moe fuel in
no it is NOT connected to the engine. its is connected to the secondary clutch which is DRIVEN by the engine.you really need to think before you post

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Originally posted by Sleds-650
[br]It's interesting to think how "snow" is so important for the function of a snowmobile. Not sure if anyone has noticed before or not but when a bunch of sleds take off across a lake that has NO snow, a few minutes later you can smell (burning candle wax) scent from the melting of the Slides.
Yeah and then you stop and the slides melt to the track and your screwed because the track wont turn, i've seen it before.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
wow thats a lot of good info, i learnt a whole lot more after reading this, thats the difference between a book and this site , in a book it would take like 30 pages to learn what you guys just said in one paragraph

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah it has been a big help. i still need some help on the airbox i know where it is and how to take it off. i would like to know what the significance of it is and how it works. i have seen people buy like a tri-city airbox and don't understand why?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Originally posted by foxracing
[br]yeah it has been a big help. i still need some help on the airbox i know where it is and how to take it off. i would like to know what the significance of it is and how it works. i have seen people buy like a tri-city airbox and don't understand why?
The airbox is designed to pull "cold" air in from outside the engine compartment. Sometimes you see the K&N cone filters, which work good for drag races, but when you're on the trail and heat builds up inside the engine compartment it will hurt performance. And of course the box also filters the air and prevents snow from entering (for the most part).

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
and the airbox has a little drop from the bottom of teh boot so dirt doesnt get in as easily.

·
Registered
671 Posts
O k let me explain you the theory on carburation . it would be easier with pictures but il try without it . ok now were to start . first of all if we go way back in time this dude with a last name venturi discovered if you accelerate the speed of wind you then create a depression . this is why the aire intake hole in your carb is called a venturi the hole is smaller in the center in the carb and is bigger at both ends this forces the air to increase it speed when entering the engine creating a negative pressure. Now that being said there is a bool with gass in it under that venturi connected with a line that goes into the carb body. There is a device on it that controls the flow of the fuel known as main jet.now when the air enters the carburator and creates the venturi effect the gas is now pushed up trough your main jet and then enters your carb body then gets mixted with the incoming air . the carburato piston and neddle controls the air/fuel volume that enters the engine . oh and there are more than that to it but me being french here probably is confusing you more than anything

I hope i helpted

1 - 20 of 22 Posts