Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get some antifreeze out of my engine to get the head off....is the best way just to undo the lower hose and catch as much as possible in a container?...does it matter if some antifreeze gets down the cylinders? I know it'll burn out of the exhaust but what if it gets into the bottom end? its a 94 indy 440....

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
take off the coolant cap and syphon some out, that's what i do with mine to lower the level.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What he said ^^^

Then there is that nifty gadget made by Sno-Tek that you splice into one of the coolant hoses that costs about $40 USD so you can drain via a petcock.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The cylinders can be cleaned off easily, but you don't want to get any antifreeze into the bottom end. When I rebuilt my 97 storm I unhooked the hose at the coolant rail (highpoint) and used a shop-vac to suck out the coolant (I put the vac on one opening and left the other opening open). Use your hand to create a seal... it worked great, there wasn't a single drop left in the engine. Leave the cap and other hoses on when you do it or else you'll just suck air.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I use a drill pump. Same pump I use to suck the oil out of 4-stroke outboard motors.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Originally posted by Frosty
[br]I use a wet/dry vac and remove the lower hose and suck it dry. No mess this way.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said. I've used the Shop-Vac for this and it works pretty slick. I learned that trick from someone on this site. [:D]

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
There should be a bolt between the cylinders just above the exhaust manifold. I place a plastic soda bottle with the top cut off under the hole. Once it's full I tighten the bolt and dump the antifreeze into a drain pan and repeat. No mess.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm...a bolt between the cylinders...This would make it very easy...ill have to check if my sled has one. I don't have a shop vac because mine finally broke last summer...but I do have one of those handy drill pumps with the garden hose fittings on each end that offshore24 mentioned...if theres no bolt then ill have to rig up the drill pump....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts