Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Guys,

Well this weekend i was at a party and found out that one of my buddies little brother bought an F-5 off ebay. Through more talk i find out that it's in Italy and that the person is going to pay for the shipping to send it "back" over here. He paid 2700 bucks for the sled and the person says they are paying shipping... HMM OK. So today i started doing some research and found that the seller supposedly came to wisconsin for a trip, bought an f-5 put 280 miles on it and shipped it back to italy...This is the story my buddy was told.

The cost of shipping to italy for a sled is about 1200 bucks (i researched this on fedex which who supposedly shipped it to italy). Ok so i start doing the math and thats 2400 bucks in shipping and the person sold the sled for 2700bucks... The numbers just dont work. I am pretty sure that my buddies brother just got scammed. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking for a snowmobile and have been going on ebay and I have seen brand new 03 RMK 700's for only 4500 that are from Germany, I was really interested and thinking of buying one, is this a scam? Did the guy ever get his F5?
I went back on Ebay today and the listing on the RMK's are gone(they were there last night)...the guy emailed me though and told me that shipping was to be at his cost as well.
What is this all about??
Let me know what happens with the F5.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Theres been a ton of phony sled auctions on ebay lately. Lots of brand new or hardly used sleds for 2900$ buy it now. And most of the pictures they use i've seen in other legit auctions.

G

·
I have seen other ones on e-bay in the last few weeks that look like a scam deal. They ask for you to be pre-approved to bid and the "buy it now" is $3000 for a $9000 sled, free shipping.

Looks like they are pulling a scam job.

D

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately i have been trying to find a link to the auction but have come up unsuccessful. I did find an auction with with either the same number of miles or very close. I guess my buddies brother finished payment on saturday. So we will see. But after hearing all the scam reports this one sounded to messed up. The funny part for me is this same buddy called me an idiot for buying a brand new sled :) (He's a tight ass with money)

Not2Soon4Snow, I wouldnt even think about ordering that sled. Go to a polaris dealer and find a left over 2003... I paid 4900 for an 03 600 XCsp and could have gotten a 700 for 500bucks more.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
lots of scamming with sleds and wheelers gonig on on Ebay. i have sen auctions like ie: 1999 ZR 500 and have a RX 1 pictured...

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
Yeh tha last couple of weeks their have been alot of scams, many 03 sled selling for under $3000..Let us know what happens?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I certainly will... Good to know i am not the only one scratching my head on this deal... I still cant believe my buddy and his parents let his little brother do it. The poor kid is a senior in high school and runs his own yard service company. Probably saved up money over the summer and now he may loose a good chunk of money.

Am i correct in saying that if it is a scam there really is no chance of having anything done about it? I mean there is no way ebay has any jurisdiction nor does the any government agency in the US....

G

·
I have gotten lots of stuff on E-Bay. Even a sled, but I am wondering if things are getting dangerous. I saw a 2004 Rev selling for $2900 with free shipping from Australia. I wonder if those scams are asking for a credit card # for a pre-bid authorization and then stealing your card # or E-Bay identity.

The part that scares me is there no one controling millions of transactions a day. When I bought my sled on E-Bay, I drove 14 hrs one way to pick it up and pay for it on the spot. No credit card, no banks checks, nothing. I left with the title and sled. He got cash.

D

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What i have been told so far is that he paid via money order...
But my buddy wasnt sure on that one...

G

·
Wow!!!
Sending a Money Order is like putting cash in the mail. I bet he never sees that money again. I think if I ever buy a big ticket item again, I will go through an escrow service. They hold the money until the title and deal go through. I have heard about phone escrow services also but if a guy uses one that is run through a bank he may be ok. Scary stuff.

D

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yep my thoughts exactly... I sure hope i get to see this F5 in his driveway by next friday otherwise i fear he will never see it. Two weeks should be plenty of shipping time... C.O.D is the only way to go. The escrow service sounds like a good service as well.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I bought my son's Z 120 off of Ebay last winter, however it was not over-seas.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
If it's too good to be true, it's too god to be true. People don't sell sleds for the price of shipping. Anything that is overseas should be suspect. I hope for the best for your friend, but...
Ebay is great for selling little stuff thru people or vendors with experience. For the big stuff you have got to go look at it and pick it up in person. The more I think about that story the harder it is for me to believe that your friend, who obviously worked hard for his money, and his parents, who should be reasonably cautious, went for that deal. I'm sorry, I just find it hard to believe.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The same place in Italy also posted a 2002 ski doo mxz renegade 800, with 12 miles on it, with a buy it now option of $2900, with the free shiping deal. I also saw the RX 1 they listed. Sounds like a little more than a scam, sounds more like take this stolen sled off my hands quick.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
all they do is steal pics from auctions,then relist them...

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Sure sounds like a scam to me. I would hate to be yoru buddy about this time. I personally don't think I would buy a sled off of E-Bay either [:(]

1 - 20 of 53 Posts